Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
there you are! was wondering how you were doing

glad you made it
:)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
The house usually stays between 40-50F without making a fire which I only do when I want to paint, the kitchen is gonna get a final coat once it warms up (at 49F right now). I only have a little wood left and am saving it for when it gets cold - still have all of February before it starts warming up.

50F is the perfect working and sleeping temperature and hope to get all the work done and install the new furnace and AC by April.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea for a polar bear!

are ya human????

LOL

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea for a polar bear!

are ya human????

LOL
Na, I don't like to freeze and you get use to wearing a union-suit for 3 months. I am still on Wisconsin time and not acclimated to the temperate mid-south winters yet.
The living room is now at 70F and is where the wood burner is, the rest of the house is at 60F and can now paint. I would like to keep the house at 60F but that takes a good supply of seasoned wood and am not buying or cutting anymore because it generally takes two years to dry and this is my last one here.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
xpc said:
FarmerChick said:
yea for a polar bear!

are ya human????

LOL
Na, I don't like to freeze and you get use to wearing a union-suit for 3 months. I am still on Wisconsin time and not acclimated to the temperate mid-south winters yet.
The living room is now at 70F and is where the wood burner is, the rest of the house is at 60F and can now paint. I would like to keep the house at 60F but that takes a good supply of seasoned wood and am not buying or cutting anymore because it generally takes two years to dry and this is my last one here.
Maybe I missed this, but is your cabin going to be in the same general area that you are in now?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Maybe I missed this, but is your cabin going to be in the same general area that you are in now?
Yep between here and Tennessee, or an hour radius. The new place will be super-insulated and heated by hot water from my solar collectors via a hydronic floor system and will be kept much warmer than I do now, also at a pert near zero operating cost.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i saw the blurb on the 'cold house revolution' on the news the other nite. i kinda laughed.. they had the news gal in a parka and big hat in some guy's in-city apartment that was about 50*. we laughed... we only had the house at 62* and we were comfortable!

i think you get kinda used to it... besides i'm always covered in all these cats so they keep me warm

FC - did it stop snowing??

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
i saw the blurb on the 'cold house revolution' on the news the other nite. i kinda laughed.. they had the news gal in a parka and big hat in some guy's in-city apartment that was about 50*. we laughed... we only had the house at 62* and we were comfortable!
I see a lot of that on the news, a few weeks ago the mayor of Memphis ordered the electric and gas companies to turn back on the utilities that were disconnected because of large outstanding balances - some owed more than $10,000. Now I know for a fact that going without heat for 3 winters now can be a hardship but in this area it is certainly not life threatening when your are in an apartment which most were and had residual heat from the adjoining units.

i don't mean to sound crass but if you know you are low on money wear some more clothes and turn the heat down to conserve the little cash you have to at least keep the place at 60F, keeping it at 80F then having it shut off after a month is stupid. Granted the old, infirm, and those with small children may be an exception but there has always been resources for them if they just applied as advertised every winter. Some may not know and others too proud.

Wisconsin had state grants that usually totaled $40 million a year to pay for heat, it's included in your property taxes and utility bill as an indigent tax. The Feds, including every state now has new building codes that require a minimum amount of insulation in new construction but that doesn't help those living in slum apartments and old houses. They offer tax credits which only help the people who can afford it in the first place - see cash for clunkers debacle.

I get a chill from time to time and attribute it to age setting in but wear these when my feet get cold - they are rated for -40F, keep your head and feet warm and you are golden. Watching TV with a hoodie and boots on may not seem like the American dream but you have to work at that and not handed it.
http://www.sorel.com/mens-boots/men,default,sc.html?sz=1&start=1#