The Pagan Circle

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:pop This is so interesting. I grew up Catholic, but have recently been questioning the existence of a god at all (especially in light of recent events in the Catholic church). But as a gardener and "farmer," it's hard to deny the feeling I have of a "greater being" when I'm out there. I've been doing some research on Buddhism, but this has piqued my interest in another possibility.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always encourage the study of ALL religions in my house. I believe you should understand as many as possible, before making an informed choice. My DS #1 began studying Wicca and said he felt it met all of his criteria. I had not investigated, so I got several books and dove in. While I disagree with some of the beliefs (personally), I saw why he felt it suited him. After he passed, several 'friends' (of MINE!) seemed to relish telling me he was burning in hell for his belief choice. HIS friends made a beautiful marker for the site of his accident, which was mysteriously removed, by a 'concerned citizen' no doubt. :(

DH was very happy to hear I had included religious studies in DS #2's home schooling. Much less so when he realized that meant ALL religions, not just 'his'.

I am not against Christianity, by any means. I am constantly told that I 'just haven't found the right church family for me'. That could be. I will say though, the best conversation I've ever had with a preacher, was in a bar, with a former pastor (of a church I had attended in my youth) who had 'fallen from grace'. Very spirited debate, without my being shushed or told I should not question! Interesting, enlightening and helpful.

*On a related side note, DS #1 talked me in to tarot reading. He went first. The man doing the reading blanched white as snow, and said my DS would die soon. I flipped out, told him to shuffle the cards again, A LOT MORE, and try again. Same cards came up. His accident was less than a year later... Of-course, the guy also said I would be filthy rich. Ah, NOT! Still, that was the first, and last, time I had a reading. Maybe it's my ignorance, but those cards scare the begeebers out of me!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do the runes. I have traveled the celtic norse path. With my Irish background I felt this was the right path. Nothing like the Green Man. ;) I was brought up Cathlic and still attend. Love the rituals. :)

One of my fav books is "The 21 Lessons of Merlin" One of my first books to help me on my path. 20 yrs later I still like to read it.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i go away for a week and come back to find a thread like this *does a happy dance*
Im pagan, eclectic i like to call it...
i dont have a "belife" as much as i have a "good idea" and take aspects from various pagan practices that call to me to kind of make my own way in the world, though i must admit im primarily of shamanistic followings. i do ALOT of work with animal spirits and guides.

I did start out with Wicca though, but it just wasnt the part that clicked...however as im sure we all feel here a lable is just that, simply another road sign for a path of spirituality that involves a love and connection to the earth as a whole.

im not yet sure what i plan on doing for samhain this year, new home, new life, i feel like i should do something a little more to bring in the new year too.
I usually do a very simple ritual, call the quarters, welcome the ancestors, pay homage to the moon and i like to do an animal blessing too, it usually involves a small fire pit too.
i do like being solitary in that i can go with the feeling of the moment, but its nice to have other pagan minded folks around so this is a very welcome thread to the forum :D

especially since i feel paganism and self sufficiency realy do go very hand in hand...as a group we are so connected to the world around us, the idea of being more involved with what we put in and take out of earth mother for ourselves just seems to click.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
I always encourage the study of ALL religions in my house. I believe you should understand as many as possible, before making an informed choice. My DS #1 began studying Wicca and said he felt it met all of his criteria. I had not investigated, so I got several books and dove in. While I disagree with some of the beliefs (personally), I saw why he felt it suited him. After he passed, several 'friends' (of MINE!) seemed to relish telling me he was burning in hell for his belief choice. HIS friends made a beautiful marker for the site of his accident, which was mysteriously removed, by a 'concerned citizen' no doubt. :(

DH was very happy to hear I had included religious studies in DS #2's home schooling. Much less so when he realized that meant ALL religions, not just 'his'.

I am not against Christianity, by any means. I am constantly told that I 'just haven't found the right church family for me'. That could be. I will say though, the best conversation I've ever had with a preacher, was in a bar, with a former pastor (of a church I had attended in my youth) who had 'fallen from grace'. Very spirited debate, without my being shushed or told I should not question! Interesting, enlightening and helpful.

*On a related side note, DS #1 talked me in to tarot reading. He went first. The man doing the reading blanched white as snow, and said my DS would die soon. I flipped out, told him to shuffle the cards again, A LOT MORE, and try again. Same cards came up. His accident was less than a year later... Of-course, the guy also said I would be filthy rich. Ah, NOT! Still, that was the first, and last, time I had a reading. Maybe it's my ignorance, but those cards scare the begeebers out of me!
Very sorry to hear about your son. i am one to always pre warn before i read someone. I NEVER read on children. i can not handle it. I also do not want to see their death or anyother things that are just not my business.

I typically ask what specific thing someone wants to see so I can zero in and avoid the major surprises. my cards are good to me. They have been known to be sarcastic if they think im not listening tho. Meaning they will say the same thing in several different ways as if to say, cmon how hard headed are you.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't believe the reader told you that. I never would have, never, never, never.
I'm still a newbie with Tarot cards. I have done some readings during the past few years, but not enough for it to just flow. I have a friend that's a psychic medium. She told me that I don't need the book anymore, but I guess I keep it close like a security blanket.

I see you changed the name to the Pagan Circle. Cool Beans! and I thank ya! But I still would have been here. :eek:)

Britesea, you are awesome! Way to go, gal!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Hillfarm & Marianne - The guy reading was new to it - and a friend of my son's (who was 19 1/2 when he passed, so he made his own choices by the time he was read) so I think the reading scared him almost as much as it did me! Strangely(or not, looking back), the only calm one in the situation was my son. He always was the level headed one though :cool:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SSDreamin- It is very possible that your son already "knew" he was going to be leaving soon. Not consciously of course, but his soul knew that the lessons for this life were finished and it was time to return to the Summer Land.

I did something similar way back when I was a teenager. I had learned palm reading and had become very popular at my high school because of it. Every time I left a classroom, there would be literally dozens of hands shoved into my face. I would be reading palms as fast as I could so I could get to my next class on time, lol. One day, I saw something in a palm that I had never seen before; without thinking, I blurted out "You are going to die a violent death within a year." The girl went hysterical, and I was called to the principal's office and told to never read palms at school again. Everything seemed to calm down after that, until she was shot in the head by a druggie. People started calling me a witch (at the time I was not) and saying I had cursed her. I actually stayed home from school a couple of days because I was being threatened. Then someone apparently pointed out that if I really had cursed the girl, I could curse others as well and it might be better to leave the witch alone (LOL).

MsPony- As far as animal guides- My right hand guide is Fox; the old world equivalent to Coyote. My left hand guide is Deer- kind of an interesting combination, isn't it?

PinkFox- you might try a full ritual cleansing of your new house? First clean it as well as you can physically, then go through each room with a broom and sweep the negative psychic energies out. I visualized them as nasty black cobwebby stuff, some in the corners, some clinging to the ceiling, etc. Then I went through each room and finished purifying them with blessed water and salt. I think this ritual would be particularly efficacious on Samhain. I know that after I did this, people always commented on how happy and comfortable they felt in my home, even if they didn't know why.

Colowyo- It's perfectly normal to occasionally get caught up with daily life and strife. Certainly doesn't make you a bad wiccan OR druid. By the way, did you know that Winston Churchill was a practicing druid? Maybe as you finish moving into your new home, you can start making connection with the earth again. I don't know very much about druidic rituals or holy days, but I suspect even a short ritual, done sincerely, may help you get back on track?

I am so happy this thread is here. I haven't felt like I could speak freely about my beliefs in a long time. THANK YOU.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I am so happy this thread is here. I haven't felt like I could speak freely about my beliefs in a long time. THANK YOU.
I'm also glad. I have to admit that I've held back from mentioning my religion because so many self-sufficiency and survival sites are Christian-based and I haven't wanted to either offend others or make myself a target. (I have no issue with others being Christian - it's just not the religion that works for me.) And honestly, in most threads, it really isn't relevant. But it is nice to chat with others about how frugality, self-sufficiency, gardening, recycling, etc have a spiritual side.