The Pantry is bulging!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
No, I wasn't dropped on my head as a child....I just knew true wealth when I saw it. :D
Bee, this is something most of us are striving to still learn!!!

BB the pantry looks great. I love to see the shelves filling. Such a feeling of satisfaction.

g

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Indeed true wealth....we are so richly blessed. :)

I am trying to determine a basis for a year's suppky of food, and I am using Jackie Clay's chart from one of her articles for it. I find it a tad extravagent....but nonetheless Commonsense Preparedness (It's at the bottom if you want to look at it)

She has Tuna and Spam in there, and I don't want them items to be apart of a year's supply, maybe extra items but not a cycled item.

Bee, what amounts would you suggest for a family of five, just for conversation sake?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Beekissed said:
No, I wasn't dropped on my head as a child....I just knew true wealth when I saw it. :D
Bee, this is something most of us are striving to still learn!!!

BB the pantry looks great. I love to see the shelves filling. Such a feeling of satisfaction.

g
It's very satisfying, especially now as you are putting up your excess and your newly canned. I'm sure it will be bare this coming spring...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, what amounts would you suggest for a family of five, just for conversation sake?
See, that question has too many variables to answer. My best advice to those wanting to have enough for any certain number of people is this....can every darn thing you can get your hands on. Canned goods can last many years if kept at even temps and when canned properly, so having too much isn't really a problem....you can eat them all year round.

Canning too much isn't a problem. So, the next alternative...canning too little. Well, you can only can up what you have, so when you run out of stuff to preserve, then it will just have to be enough. No way you can get any more than what you can get, is there?

If you start living almost entirely out of your canned and preserved foods, you will know within a couple of seasons just how much you will need each year to have plenty of breathing room and not be scraping the bins and shelves by spring. It's a learning curve for each family and cannot be stated as X amount of food will feed a family of five, so store X amount of food for that number.

Can way more than you need...next year's garden may be a big ol' flop due to weather, blight, etc. Can more of what you actually need...and also can things you may think you will never use. When the chips are down, those less favored foods can be a God send.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Indeed true wealth....we are so richly blessed. :)

I am trying to determine a basis for a year's suppky of food, and I am using Jackie Clay's chart from one of her articles for it. I find it a tad extravagent....but nonetheless Commonsense Preparedness (It's at the bottom if you want to look at it)

She has Tuna and Spam in there, and I don't want them items to be apart of a year's supply, maybe extra items but not a cycled item.

Doesn't the LDS site have a volume calculator, we talked about here over a year ago?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
We got held off today so its not done yet, but should be tomorrow. I did however get all the fruit and vegetables stocked, rings removed and washed off.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1419_sam_0801.jpg
Most of the vegatables, and we are not done canning vegetables yet. Still have gobs of corn to do, 30 quarts of beans, and some more tomato products.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1419_sam_0803.jpg
The dwindling fruit supply. We will have to can apples, and applesauce by the truckload.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1419_sam_0804.jpg
Our jams and jellies. We still have blackberry jam to make, grape jelly, and pumpkin butter.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1419_sam_0805.jpg
Part of the meals in a jar and meat to stock the shelves with. When we finish tomorrow.

SO I am NOT done stocking it up yet. I still have flour and sugar to put in buckets, as well as rice and loads of other stuff. Then stock our pickled things. Still a long way to go.

The shelves are not as deep as I would've liked, but it is larger than originally planned so all is well.....

Our canning is about halfway done, with a break coming up in a month :p
Good job, Buff, get those shelves filled out and Nifty can use your pantry pictures on the SS Login Page instead of mine... :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yes, your right Bee. Too many variable, I guess experimentation is in order :D

FJ, I saw that but it's only got dry staples figured in and it is figured like that is all you will have....

Thanks other Cindi!

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Just look how rich you are!!!

Believe it or not, when I was growing up on the homestead and was sent to the cellar for a jar or two of canned up foods I always stopped to admire all the jewel tones of the jars and I thought to myself, "Man, we sure are rich!".

This thought was coming from a girl whose clothing all fit in a cardboard box under her homemade log bed~ that she shared with her sister....and it was the bottom bunk. The top bunk was my brother's bed. Our floors were cardboard covered and we lived in just two rooms of a small cabin.....but I still felt much more rich than my peers when I saw 200 qts. each of simply every kind of food on those shelves. We even had a giant whiskey barrel full of pickled corn sitting out in the back yard!

x2

When I was growing up, it wasn't until I was in high school that I discovered not everyone had tomatoes, sweet corn and bread with butter or strawberry shortcake for dinner during the summer. Since we ate out of the garden during most of the summer, discovering that not everyone did this was eye-opening to me. We typically had hamburgers every Thursday (that was pay-day) and some type of meet for Sunday dinner or a special occasion. Now, when I walked down to the basement and look at my shelves loaded with food stores, I have a deep peace and contentment knowing that my kids are in no danger of going to bed hungry.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Just look how rich you are!!!

Believe it or not, when I was growing up on the homestead and was sent to the cellar for a jar or two of canned up foods I always stopped to admire all the jewel tones of the jars and I thought to myself, "Man, we sure are rich!".

This thought was coming from a girl whose clothing all fit in a cardboard box under her homemade log bed~ that she shared with her sister....and it was the bottom bunk. The top bunk was my brother's bed. Our floors were cardboard covered and we lived in just two rooms of a small cabin.....but I still felt much more rich than my peers when I saw 200 qts. each of simply every kind of food on those shelves. We even had a giant whiskey barrel full of pickled corn sitting out in the back yard!

:bow :ya :old
I only dream of a pantry like that!!!! I am working on it a little at a time!!!!! :drool