The REAL FOOD recipe thread

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Pyment :D

Mead made with grapes. Remember I had a bumper crop of grapes this year? I thought about making wine, but a lot of recipes called for sulphites and additives I didn't have and didn't want to buy. So instead of a wine, I made mead. When you add grapes to mead it is called a pyment.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Pyment

If you make mead with apples, is it called a cyser.

There are many different names for mead depending on what you add to it.

If you made mead, you HAVE to be patient. It often tastes best after being in the bottle for a year or more. I have a batch that will be ready 4th of July 2010. This pyment will be for Thanksgiving next year.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, hmmm.....I plan to start some alcoholic fermenting experiments when my parents move near me, soon, I hope. My dad has some winemaking equipment.

I have about 50 oz of elderberry juice in the freezer. I extracted it by cooking it in water, so it is not pure, nor does it have live yeast on it anymore. Next year I will do it right! We have wild grapes here, too, in abundance. Might be fun to mix the two. I will not use sulfites. I will likely use the instructions in Wild Fermentation. Then maybe I can have a sip myself without tachycardia!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
The only "additives" I use are champagne yeast and yeast nutrient. I only use the nutrient if my fermentation gets stuck. Looks like this batch is stuck so off to the home brew store :p I just tasted it, there is some alcohol, but it is REALLY sweet still.

A lot of people add raisins, tea and some lemon juice to their mead to naturally provide the nutrients/acids needed but it can be hard to get the mix right. Mid-batch it is easier to get the nutrient. It isn't expensive.

Took a sip of my sample bottle from the other batch and it is getting really dry and the flavors are mellowing. That one should be good by summer.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There is a winemaking store a bit of a drive from here, so if I get up that way, what should I buy? Will champagne yeast keep well, or should I wait until I am ready to ferment something? It could be weeks or months until I get to it. But when I am ready, then it could be weeks before I can get to the winemaking store.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
There is a winemaking store a bit of a drive from here, so if I get up that way, what should I buy? Will champagne yeast keep well, or should I wait until I am ready to ferment something? It could be weeks or months until I get to it. But when I am ready, then it could be weeks before I can get to the winemaking store.
The yeast packaging should contain its expiration date. Personally, I'd wait until ready to use before purchasing. I've made many types of wine and live in Ohio wine country with a winery on every corner! I'm sure that you are addressing Wifezilla, but just throwing my 2 cents in. :D

Wifezilla

Reaction score
If the shop is not too far away, wait. Mine requires a special trip so I buy a bunch and throw it in the freezer. Haven't had any issues with dud yeast if it is kept frozen until I need it.

I had an errand near the home brew shop yesterday so I picked up 5 packets when I grabbed my bottle of yeast nutrient.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
YUMMM! I think I need to try this...
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=1216

Added the yeast nutrient to my mead. No change. There IS still pressure built up in the system...you can see the air lock middle is raised. I looked up my symptoms....mead that appears to be stuck and is cloudy but with no sign of bacterial contamination. Looks like I just have to be patient and rack often.

Siggghhhhhh