Thermostat--your winter LOW

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Cold is nature's way of getting you moving :lol: I forgot to turn on the heat this morings and it's still 60 at 10 am.
That happens to me sometimes. It does get one going!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
We put ours on 68 and leave it there. I have a small space heater I keep in the kitchen, and keep the door to the north room closed. We found that keeping that room open kept the heat running way more than it should. The idiots that revamped this house didn't insulate it very well. I have no need to be in that room, so I keep in blocked off unless I have laundry (washer and dryer are there). I also keep the down stairs bathroom door closed and use the one upstairs, since the down bath is also on the northwest side of the house. I don't need my hiney sticking to the frosty seat!! :gig

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ours is down to 16 C, or 60 F right now, usually it's around 14 C, or 57 F

We don't have a woodstove yet, only the oil heating, and the propane fireplace in the master, as well as a baseboard heater in the laundry room/dog bedroom (lol, our poodles sleep in the laundry room at night). We bundle up with extra quilts, thick duvets, and the rooms upstairs retain the heat really well as 2 of them are in the double brick part of the house, the only room that is always cold is my brothers room, which for some reason doesn't have a heating vent and although it is on the south side of the house hasn't got a dormer that looks out south, he has an east facing window. The front bedroom in the double brick is cold some times, bu that's because the ghost lives in there, seriously. No actual joke.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
wow mtn
55 at night. I almost am scared to go that low. I am a freezer..LOL..but it is time to get out the whooley's and socks and such and drop my temp a little lower.

I do have a propane fireplace....maybe time to kick it on and let it warm the house.
But for me, propane being $3.14 per gallon....hmm....I wonder what is the better way to go ya know. Keep electric heat at say 65 or drop to 60 and turn on the stove??? ahhh, decisions, decisions..LOL

I wanted a wood burner but Tony nixed that. He said wood was too hard to cut, stack, etc. and ashes, etc. with chimney construction, etc. etc....hmm...
We're getting a wood stove installed next summer when the prices are low LOL, and we're just getting the metal stove pipe rather than a brick chimney, ours will vent right out the brick wall and up :) Can't wait! I totally feel you on the propane fire place, we have the one in the master on maybe once or twice a week with the pilot light on all the time, it only cost about $309 CAD to fill up our propane tank, and $205 CAD/year for rental, that fill up should last us about a year running the fireplace off it in the winter, and the stove off it year round.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hi lupinfarm

yea I hear ya on the propane stove. I thought hard about getting wood stove but decided against it since I didn't want to deal with cutting firewood and ashes. I am getting older and don't want that work..LOL

I cut the power bill down nice using the propane fireplace for warmth, and Tony thinks that is great, but he doesn't realize, using the propane is money also..LOL....it is like, hey we saved so good on electricity so turn on the propane stove....well, duh, that propane costs money too..HA HA

I do like the HOT heat that comes from it vs. the heat pump. heat pump gives me a duller heat...that propane stove will heat ya up fast! I like that..HAHA

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Around here wood stoves go on sale at the beginning of fall then in later spring if they have a close out. I thought it would be summer but around here it's not.
I've been wanting one for two years and have kept track of the prices- but still with installation is out of my range at the moment.
I'm keeping my eye out for a used one too but I'm nervous that I couldn't tell it it had a problem.

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
we burn wood now but before that 68 while not at home and 70 when at home. i think turning down to low the up to what my wife calls comfortable (70) was costing more to reheat then it was saving

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
captchris
I read up on that. nothing true about it. it costs no more to bring a house "up to heat" than it does to just run it up and down at diff. temps. It was interesting and I can't remember the exact wording, but don't worry about that.....cause I thought that too until I read all about it.