This crazy girl is getting sheep!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sometimes I add corn and oats to all stock. When I do, I use (roughly) 1 part whole oats, 2 parts cracked corn, 6 parts all stock feed.

Re: how much grain, check body condition by feeling the muscle on either side of the spine. It should be close to flat across. When they start losing condition, it will start to dip on both sides of the spine. Some ewes hold condition better than others. You should separate them into feeding groups based on body condition.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The best first creep for lambs is rolled oats - like from the grocery store. The pellet or grain size affects their willingness to eat grain. I only see this problem in bottle lambs though. I offer creep until they are on pasture. I try to pick breeding dates to get them born when the grass is coming in but some years I'm wrong. DH likes to offer creep longer than I do. I prefer 100% grassfed lamb. I'd just as soon not offer any creep at all - they grow out fine without. They're not show lambs, we're trying to profit here.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oats are $26 a 50# bag here! :ep last I checked. Could be more now -- I mean everything goes up every week.:th. If you get those for $5 buy a lot and share.
This is direct from the farmer. He doesn’t always grow oats but neighbors have been asking him to. The fields are literally within walking distance, part of why they’re so affordable.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is an exceptional price for the oats even if they are just farm harvested and not "cleaned" like ones that get offered for sale to the public. We buy our wheat for cover crops straight off a farm too and it is definitely cheaper...
I wouldn't see any problem with offering oats and the all stock 50/50... or get a little better protein/developer type feed and then cutting it with the oats 60/40...

@CrealCritter , once an animal has most of it's "growth" then I know of several that feed just corn for a fattening ration for 90-120 days... You are no longer trying to grow out the animal.... you are wanting it to put on fat and carbs is the best way... and it helps with the marbling also ....

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is direct from the farmer. He doesn’t always grow oats but neighbors have been asking him to. The fields are literally within walking distance, part of why they’re so affordable.

he may even give a further discount if you bring the bags back. :)

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
7BB2D426-9733-4E0D-96EB-4E3891BC67B3.jpeg

I’ll get more tomorrow!