This crazy girl is getting sheep!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eating grain right in front of me! One finished her breakfast and came over to smell me, stared for a few seconds and walked away.

I know they’re used to people, but they haven’t been extensively handled, so it’s really neat to see how quickly they’re adjusting.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sit down, it puts you at their level and you are less threatening ( as in a predator). Sheep are very curious and will come up to investigate you.
Yep! In 4-H they teach kids to start training sheep with "bucket time". Bring a book and sit on a bucket for an hour or more every day.

I like to do "clicker" training. My son was amazed! We went out in pasture with the ewes and a little grain. Anytime a ewe approached, she got a bit of grain or her favorite leaves. It only took a few minutes to train several to approach, and put their chin on our palm. I think it took 3 sessions to train 3 ewes to hand lead. Give them freedom and control, and they learn fast - like a puppy. Limit their freedom and they act like dumb sheep. 🙄

My tame to tame-ish sheep will do anything for a bit of Wasa crispbread or graham cracker. Or stale marshmallow... 😁

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The chonkiest one will come up and smell strangers pretty quickly. The middle one used my hand to rub her face while I was on the other side of the fence. The smallest is most skittish, but she almost smelled me this morning.
I was trying to introduce my dog. Let them smell him through the fence. They freaked out (of course) and then wanted to smell. I’m a little worried about them and Jack (my dog) because he’s so small and blind. I’d be concerned they’d try to smell him and step on him or think he’s a sheep and do something.

Thanks for all the advice. I’m hoping to get these guys nice and tame.

I start school tomorrow, maybe I’ll go out and study by their pen lol.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Animal crackers = sheep cocaine

Study in their pen, not next to it.
Only the small one has eaten them so far. She turns away so the others don’t see.🤣 crazy sheep. The others should discover here shortly,

Do you think the professor will accept “my sheep ate my homework” as a valid excuse for late homework? Asking for a friend of course.

I think I’ve discovered their names.

Flossy, Shasta, and Maizy. Subject to change over the next few days lol.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
No surprise the chonky one is most tame and the smallest one is most skittish!

You might need to separate chonky-girl out to get the smaller one to warm up to you.

If you take the skittish one out she will probably get even more skittish. Tame/dominant ones seem to handle being separated from the flock (briefly!) better than skittish ones.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well y’all, I need a sheep chair🤣.

Tried to rump a sheep for the first time today, yikes. Failure. Ended up doing what I was doing while straddling the ewe. These girls are also going to double in size. Holy ewe! Sheep 1 shortcake 0

I’m going to see if I can look back through Baymules’ journals to see what she did lol. There’s no way I’ll be able to straddle or handle them at 200 lbs. like I did today.
Ahh adventures of new livestock.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Well y’all, I need a sheep chair🤣.

Tried to rump a sheep for the first time today, yikes. Failure. Ended up doing what I was doing while straddling the ewe. These girls are also going to double in size. Holy ewe! Sheep 1 shortcake 0

I’m going to see if I can look back through Baymules’ journals to see what she did lol. There’s no way I’ll be able to straddle or handle them at 200 lbs. like I did today.
Ahh adventures of new livestock.

I don't sit my sheep. Not worth the effort. 😁 DH can do ot, but the only one we needed to was a dangerous ram.

I have a head stanchion built into a lambing pen. Ewes get grain in it so they're willing to get caught in it. I use it for shearing solo. Its a must-have for replacing ear tags.

When DH and I are together, such as for hooves, he catches or uses a crook. We move the ewe next to the barn wall and I hold her head.

And a gambrel is nice when you're away from the barn. I don't use it much, but I'm happy to have it. https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...o0ts3PHOCFctLvhWD3Rr2m5Bute7mQtkaAnRyEALw_wcB

If you set up a chute like @baymule you can do vaccines, etc while they are lined up in the chute.

Last edited:

Latest posts