Turning old into new

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Woho I am getting some old wire that my dad was going to throw away. He used them for Japanese tomato cages. Lots of wire. Anyway I hav an old dog house that I am not using. I am going to make a small chicken coop for a couple of my smaller chickens. And the wire and some wood from a platte is going to make the run. I love it when I can use things on hand and don't have to buy anything.
Oops almost forgot. I am going to turn a recycling bin into a compost container.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We replaced a light fixture from outside our garage a few months ago. We kept it around...just in case...now it keeps our chicks warm at night in their outdoor coop!

Dhs dad reuses old bicycle parts to make cool, funny, neat birds and masks.

I reuse our sandwich and ziploc bags, too.

suenrob

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have an old swing set that is going to be turned into my next chicken coop.

I'll post pics when complete.

Oh yea, my first coop was converted from 2 horse stalls, and the second used to be a metal storage shed. (I'll post pics of these too, later)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
suenrob said:
We have an old swing set that is going to be turned into my next chicken coop.

I'll post pics when complete.

Oh yea, my first coop was converted from 2 horse stalls, and the second used to be a metal storage shed. (I'll post pics of these too, later)
I can see that. I have thoguht about it many times.

Sevengin

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I would love to see pictures of everybody's Trash to Treasures.

We made our Chicken Coop out of wooden boxes that a couple large pieces of equipment was shipped in. The picture below is finished, but since then we have added a run and small house on each end. They are used for brooding hens, chicks or for whenever one or more needs seperation.

We still have some of the box panels left and are going to build a second coop.

476276-R1-13-14A.jpg

The bottom of the crates are being used as a "bridge" for training my horses.

60640013.jpg

bluey

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I still get teased at by my DF's family, for recycling a wooden bed frame into a temporary tractor/brooder for my 7+ week old chicks before they are ready to free range.

They call it the "Hoopie Coop". It still stands today and has served a second year of service. :lol:

IMG_0111.jpg

moose hollow farm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I turned an old Bob house (used for Ice fishing) into my chicken coop and then build a goat shed out of old pallets.
I'm also using an old camp on my property to house my sewing business where I do custom sewing for people and their homes, boats, businesses. Trying to make a living in a rural area where there are only service/low pay jobs.