Turning old into new

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Also don't everyone forget we can recycle tons of it.

I am filling up the trailer to make a run to the salvage yard. Recycle metal AND MAKE MONEY! I have alot of farm equipment pieces and such that are ready to go...along with anything else metal I can find. I am sick of the old wheelbarrow planter I had in the garden for millions of years so off to the metal salvage yard with it and I will walk away with money. Can't go wrong there! :)

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My first post on this site! I slid over from BYC= :D .

I love to reclaim things.. Over the yrs., I have made my packrat of a dh shake his head more than once..lol

We used reclaimed windows, door, wood and tin for my chicken coop.
I took an old 50's type child's armior (from the trash dump) and added beadboard panels, new knobs, paint , lots of sanding a few nails, some glue and a pad to the top for a changing table for my new grandbaby.
Turned a 'L' shaped wooden island into a bar by adding ball feet, decorative molding, shelves, maple boards to the top, painted the bottom white and stained the top dark.. Was offered $500 but refused it.. it costs me 15$ for the feet--had everything else on hand..
I took old curtains and remade them into a different style and sold them for 200$. cost--nothing.
made a long shipping crate into a coffee table by adding feet, decorative hardward (reclaimed from a dumpster).
I have two of the med. size Sat. dishes, that I turned into birdbaths.. the birds love the gradual sides.
I redo old beads, crystals into new jewlery..
Sorry, I could go on and on...Dixie

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am in the process of turning an old castiron pedastal sink into a bird bath.

Neighbors gave us lots of chainlink fencing for a dog run but DH measured it and it is only 3' tall! So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm thinking for a compost area, DH was thinking a burn area.

I also am looking for something to do with a 50 gal. potable water barrel.

I am always remaking things for other uses, can't think right now.

We just were given two very old travel trailers. One is in good condition that we will fix up to use. The other was going to need A LOT of work, time, money before we could use it. DH is thinking about salvaging all the metal to take to the scrapyard then making a utility trailer out of the chasis so we can dismantle the one we have and turn it BACK into our motorcycle trailer. BUT, I am thinking that the trailer would make a really cool chicken coop!! I'm going to go check it out right now!

Monica

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
cknmom said:
I am in the process of turning an old castiron pedastal sink into a bird bath.

Neighbors gave us lots of chainlink fencing for a dog run but DH measured it and it is only 3' tall! So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm thinking for a compost area, DH was thinking a burn area.

I also am looking for something to do with a 50 gal. potable water barrel.

I am always remaking things for other uses, can't think right now.

We just were given two very old travel trailers. One is in good condition that we will fix up to use. The other was going to need A LOT of work, time, money before we could use it. DH is thinking about salvaging all the metal to take to the scrapyard then making a utility trailer out of the chasis so we can dismantle the one we have and turn it BACK into our motorcycle trailer. BUT, I am thinking that the trailer would make a really cool chicken coop!! I'm going to go check it out right now!

Monica
I saw where someone had made an old van into a chicken coop and another had utilized an old bus....why not a camper? Sounds like it would be well insulated, have multiple roosting spots and can be moved to a new location on a whim...what's not to love? :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Campers make good coops! The guy I got my royal palm turkeys from uses an old camper for his layers :)

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH nixed the camper idea without a thought, he asked what I'd been smoking. He is dead set on scraping the aluminum, oh well.

Last year we bought a bunch of telephone poles. DH used tem to build a retaining wall behind our house. The previous property owners made a very small flat surface right after you step off the stairs from the deck of the house they put on the property. After the flat part it sloped at a steep angle, it was totally unusable. Now with the retaining wall DH flattened it out and we can use every bit. I will post a pic later don't have time right now.

We just were given several more telephone poles that DH will use a couple to make a gate entry with our brand on it. He has plans for the rest also. If we can get hold of enough of them we may make a fence.

He made stairs out of railroad ties. We still have a lot of them left to make borders around the trees. He will use more poles to line the driveway.

We use the bark off the trees we cut for firewood for mulch. DH lays them out and drives over them to break them up.

Monica

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when they paved my road 2 years ago (after 14 years on gravel) they gave me the telephone poles they had to move to pave. WEE--tony still has a few not used yet. great corner posts for fences.

Your DH sounds like a super hardworker! Lucky you! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This is the fence posts the boys and I put in using utility poles! We didn't have a way of cutting them down to size to become even with the rest of the posts, so these posts are 4 ft. into the ground!!

5_imported_photos_00004.jpg
[/img]

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Ok, thats it, I'm moving to Beekissed's house! I love it!

*not really gonna move in with you, sorry if I scared ya, lol