Turning old into new

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
At work we sell chain by the foot and it comes in these plastic tubs we always throw out. I was looking at one today and kept thinking it is about the right size for a nest box for my quail. I am now figuring how I'm going to cut one of the sides open and fix the lid so it's easier to open and close and to attach it to the cage so it serves as nestbox ad a little extra room.

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Use an old stove overhead vent/light metal thing for brooders. Just prop it up with some heavy concrete blocks for baby chicks to get underneath it. The vent fan didnt work just the light.

Sorry it will not work for red brooder lights since it is too big unless you can make the socket face downward. Worked well for me until it quit working. I just use a 100 watt bulb and they stayed warm for 25 chicks.

Harley's Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I took an old canopy (like they have over store fronts) That was going to be thrown out. We made it into a broiler for the meat birds! Now that there are no meat birds I leave it propped against the run and lift the fence so my chickens can go out for some grass! They love it!

HPIM5394.jpg

HPIM5393.jpg

I have also taken empty mayonnaise jars (plastic kind) and made them into a bird feeder. If you would like I can post pics of that too. :) I know I have more recycled stuff around here, I am just gonna have to go look. LOL :lol:

Fairacre

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been running much of my junk mail & old bills & statements through the shredder. Then I can add them to fluff up the compost, as bedding for the feeder mice, and nest material for the laying hens. I've heard that some of the shiny paper can be detrimental to plants so I add that in sparingly. I've acquired 2 different shredders, the one that makes long strips is better for nesting material, the other that makes confetti strips is better for composting.

This is a great solution for folks who worry about others going through their garbage & digging out papers to use for identity theft. I'd like to see them try to piece these poopy muddy bits back together!

I also save all the envelopes that come in with the bills to use for lots of things you need an envelope for except actual mailing. They hold seeds, coupons, receipts, money you need to give to someone, whatever.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Got to reading through these great ideas, and realized I recycle more than I thought!

Spray bottles from cleaners/air fresheners I re-use for home made cleaners.

My plastic containers that the coffee comes in are used for scoops in the chicken feed and dog food, holding stuff in the garage (screws, nails, etc)...I have also used them to hold dog food when we travel, since the lids are pretty secure.

When my BIL had his hog barn built, I went through the 'trash' pile and scrounged enough stuff to divide my coop into 3 rooms, and found an old roll of poultry netting. I used that for rabbit fence around the garden, and over the top of the chick's coop to prevent preditors.

I have found old wooden boxes, and painted them and used them as shelves.

The huge mineral tubs (plastic)that my in-laws use for their cows I scavenge and use for feed tubs and other storage (small wood scraps, etc) so they don't end up in the ditch.

Old, small dog crates for nesting boxes.

I also have been trying very hard to be concious about plastic shopping bags. When I go to the grocery, I use the canvas bags, and make sure they go right back in the car after emptying them in the house. I also tell the cashier that I don't need a bag for a pack of gum, or a card, or the 3 things that can fit in my purse after I've paid. I just keep my receipt out when I leave.

The DH teases me and says "You are trying to save the world one plastic bag at a time....you have a lot of work to do! :) " Maybe so, but I feel better when I do one small thing. ;)

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love this post :love !

I am a "repurposer" from way back! My chicken coop use to be my husbands 4 hole fishing shanty and then my garden shed, before we renovated it with wood and windows found free on Craigs List to make it into my chicken coop.
My chicken feed and scratch is kept in a small metal trash can and large cat litter tubs with tight fitting lids.
Instead of a bathroom sink that is set into a cabinet, I have a pedistal sink and a 1930's dresser that holds my towels, TP, extra shampoo, bar soaps and over the counter meds. I also took an old apple crate (24X18X18 inches) and made a hinged lid for it from reclaimed wood (new hinges). I use this box to hold my bathroom cleaning supplies.
Cool Whip and margerine containers are used to collect and mix the food for the out door kittens. They also hold the scraps for the chickens.
I use the large Flogers coffie containers (red with a tight fitting lid) to hold my "smelly garbage." I use the veggie bags from the supermarket to line the container and when it is full or smelly, I bring the bag out to the trash can by my shed and wash the container for reuse. Keeps the regular garbage (non-recycleable papers and plastics) from smelling up the kitchen.
Two old wooden wardrobes that were purchased at tag sales have had shelves added and now hold my fabric stash and sewing supplies. Another was painted and shelves were added it now houses our TV and assorted audio/visual equipment.
A large, old wooden tool box found in Grandmas attic has had legs (knobs from a ballaster) added and is now used to hold gifts purchased on sale or clearance during the year.
I am crrently looking for ideas for a smallish metal chicken waterer made from repurposed items. The ones in the store are sooo expensive!

Edited for forgotten items

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
I I am crrently looking for ideas for a smallish metal chicken waterer made from repurposed items. The ones in the store are sooo expensive!
When ya figure that one out, please PM me w/ details! My mom wants to just go ahead and buy me one b/c I won't fork over the money for one, but I told her NO WAY... waaaaay too expensive for an item like that! :)

So "The Champ" doesn't eat chickens? ;)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I use the large Flogers coffie containers (red with a tight fitting lid)
Those are the same ones I use! lol

I got to thinking of other things I have recycled/reused/repurposed....

my MIL was going through her garage and had 2 cabinets (metal) and was gonna through them out...NO!! lol...I snatched them up and painted them. THey hold my canning supplies, and the food I canned.

Sometimes when we print out something, it uses more pages than needed with extrainious information, so I either flip them over and print on the back, or cut them into small squares for notepads.

I'll have to post again when I think of other stuff...lol

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We reuse & recycle & repurpose things all the time. One of our proudest is our "Gazebo" we got an old(& I mean old) satelite dish & turned it upside down on four posts over our picnic table & created a shade for it. We have less than $10 invested in it as the dish was given to us. We have a old bathtub that came out of dmil's house we are turning into a small fish pond for back patio, we will build a wood seat around the whole thing to disguise it some. Plus we have old windows we are turning into a cold frames. And a shed we will turn into a greenhouse, it is right by the garden & all we need to do is remove the siding panels & put greenhouse panels on it.
Dh took old wire racks from a refrig & made a hay rack for our ram. He used a 55 gal bung plastic barrel to make a pig feeder out of when ds#1 was raising hogs for 4h & FFA. We took retaining wall blocks that were given to us & made raised beds for the garden out of them(free seat to work from).

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:) I love to take old sheets and make them into rugs, I also have used them in quilts I made. My husband and I love to make a few trips to our local junkman to see what new stuff he has. I have made Halloween decorations from chicken fenceing that I found at the junkyard.
I also love to wear the old jewelry that ppl throw out. My grandmother had quite a collection to start me out.
My father has a saying "if someone gives you something for free, take it, even if you have to throw it out on the way home." Now that has served us well, but we hardly ever throw anything out, we always find uses.
Last year we got a woodstove at the junk yard. My husband built a small house around it and now it is like an outside wood boiler, we heated our whole house with it last year!!!!
The clawfoot tub I have in my bathroom-we hauled it home from the junkmans!
We recyled an old fridge-turned it into a smoker.

And the list goes on.