sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Can you share the label for what you used? There are tons of amla oil products!
I looked for it online yesterday, but they seem to have changed the design and bottle, as I didn't see anything like what I bought all those years ago. I bought the hair oil and I remember it said something along the lines of "Promotes good growth of the hair" on the label. Have you got any Indian (not Native, from India) woman in the towns near you that you can talk to? They will know which products to recommend for you for sure.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This is the Amla oil I am using, got it off Amazon...they have many brands of amla oil there.
upload_2018-4-30_1-35-41.jpeg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed which Maui and Shea products do you use? There is quite a selection for both of them.

Right now I'm using the Maui Moisture Strength and Breakage, Agave shampoo. It's for chemically treated hair, though mine hasn't been so since around '08. I just liked the sound of the label and so far I'm really liking what it does to my hair.

I'm also using the Shea Moisture Argan Oil and Almond milk Smooth and Tame conditioner. Supposed to soften and detangle fine, frizzy, straight and wavy hair. I picked that one because it was the only one at the Dollar General of the SM line and I wanted to try it out. I don't have fine or straight hair, though it's wavy and has a tendency to frizz.

This combination, I like VERY much how it leaves my hair. When this bottle of shampoo is done I'm going to try Maui's Nourish and Moisture, Coconut Milk shampoo for dry hair but I'll stick with this SM conditioner...I like it better than the Maui conditioner I tried. It's just more rich than the Maui conditioner.

I've tried the deep conditioner of both lines, what they call the curl smoothies(these are in a tub and are thicker in consistency) and I like the Maui one hands down over the SM one. The SM one left my hair stringy, frizzy and lackluster, whereas the Maui one leaves my hair shiny and with good curl definition. I especially like this Maui curl smoothie as a face moisturizer...it's incredible for that! Smoothed out some deep lines I was developing, with the first use, and leaves my face more soft than any moisturizer I've ever used and with no build up in my pores.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep Bays hair... beautiful Mine is about that long but thick and wavy. Soon to be all cut off and sent to wigs for kids so some little girl with cancer can wear my hair and hopefully brighten her day a little.
That is a generous and wonderful thing to do.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Update for the curious:

We're hitting high 80 degrees to low 90 degree temperatures. I'm still not wearing deoderant (and the important part is not using soap or body wash that kill the odor eating bacteria). I have noticed that when I wear clothes that are not tightly-fitting in the armpit, I don't end up with damp clothes. Wet spots on clothing would be a deal breaker for me. So I've picked up some bat wing style tops and have been dry, comfortable, and nobody knows. Nice! The longer I stay on my plan of no body soap and no deoderant, the less and less odor of any kind I notice. Not just no offensive odor, but none.

Next experiment is if shaving makes a difference. When using soap and deoderant, shaving was a necessity. And I'd rather not bother if I don't need to. DH will be disappointed, but I will reply "hair grows places" which is what he said to me when I pointed out he really should trim his nose hair. :gig

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@tortoise, you're confirming some things I've believed for a long time. Question for you - have you noticed any difference in the amount of bug bites you get? And have you noticed any difference in the condition of your skin after being outside all day. I'm wondering if some of the chemicals we routinely add to our skin could actually affect bugs, and/or possibly, lead to skin cancer...
Just today, my husband was telling an old Army story. They were out in the woods for a months training exercise (years ago.) One young man didn't want to stink so he covered himself in a particular body spray. Soon after that, he was so covered with mosquito bites that he went into anaphylactic shock and had to be airlifted out.
Sometimes I wonder if the body lotion/soap/spray companies are the same companies that also sell mosquito repellent. I've never actually checked.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:ep That's incredible @milkmansdaughter !

We're not quite into mosquito season yet - just the first few coming now. I am very curious to see if I notice a difference with mosquitos! Or deer flies! I hate deer flies!

Latest posts