Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do sugar scrubs on my hands when they get too rough and dry. Easy to make and can pick what oils to use. I only use salt scrub on feet since it's a bit rough. They are just sugar (or salt) and enough oil added until desired consistency is reached. I usually add a few drops of essential oil to avocado oil for them.

I make my own chapstick as I posted about before. It's worked better than the store bought stuff. Gave Mom some. She now wants much more of the stuff I made with shea butter. Says it heals her faster.

I recommend using a body brush. It's good for the skin and feels great. Long handled boar bristle is what I use. Evens out skin oils and exfoliates.

I use a salt bar on all areas that get smelly sweat, so no smell. Thankfully I don't get a reaction to salt.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love sugar scrubs too. It's been a few years since I made any. I really need to get back to it especially this time of year when my hands get so yucky from being in the dirt all the time. While dirt might be good for the soul - it's not so great ground into your fingers, lol!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sugar scrubs are more effective than salt scrubs because the sugar has glycolic acid in it. :thumbsup Sugar and sour cream mixed 1:1 is y favorite sugar DIY seems to work best. I leave it on as a Mask and wash off when dry.

I have keratosis pilaris a.k.a. Chicken skin, my skin douesn't slough as freely as normal and gets buildup of keratin. So I'm always looking at exfoliants!

One of my favorites homemade facials, which is definitely not for sensitive skin, is cream of tartar (tartaric acid) with enough lemon juice to make a paste. Leave it on for only a minute or until it starts to feel tingly. Rinse with baking soda in water to neutralize. Then rub on jojoba oil. I look so young and fresh wen I do this!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks! My skin gets rough and dry from hashimotos. I'm taking extra iodine, and vitamins, but it all helps! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sugar scrubs are more effective than salt scrubs because the sugar has glycolic acid in it. :thumbsup Sugar and sour cream mixed 1:1 is y favorite sugar DIY seems to work best. I leave it on as a Mask and wash off when dry.

I have keratosis pilaris a.k.a. Chicken skin, my skin douesn't slough as freely as normal and gets buildup of keratin. So I'm always looking at exfoliants!

One of my favorites homemade facials, which is definitely not for sensitive skin, is cream of tartar (tartaric acid) with enough lemon juice to make a paste. Leave it on for only a minute or until it starts to feel tingly. Rinse with baking soda in water to neutralize. Then rub on jojoba oil. I look so young and fresh wen I do this!

A word about sugar scrubs...if a person is diabetic and suffers from yeast or fungal infections of the skin, feet, etc., the sugar scrubs can actually feed these areas topically. Not good. Recommended to stick with salt scrubs if diabetic.

My sisters and I used to make soap, lotions, scrubs and such for sale. We use a combination of sea salt and epsom salts in our scrubs, which varies the texture to be found there. Olive oil for the carrier oil and EOs for scent.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Using fermented rice water as a hair rinse this evening. It's an experiment to see if it can cause more and faster hair growth. I guess it's all the rage on YT now for people wanting accelerated hair growth.

It stinks, but anything fermented is good for you, I've found, so I'm willing to try it and see how it goes. It's stored in the fridge until needed for use.

Will report here if I notice anything good happening from the use of it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm LOVING this back to natural hair care journey I'm on. My natural curl pattern is slowly emerging and I LOVE it. My hair already feels and looks thicker, shinier and softer.

Got my silk/satin pillow case today, as per curly hair protocol, and love that too. Have moved away from any hair thingies that are too tight or pull at the roots or even that pull at the natural hair pattern. Found these little mini clips that hold like a snapping turtle all day long which just made all of this possible...can work outside all day without my hair falling into my eyes now.

The fermented rice water leaves my hair squeaky clean, as it does my scalp.

I'm losing zero hair now...not in the comb, not in the shower, not on my clothes or pillow, when I used to shed like a Malamute in Phoenix. That should help me grow my hair out.

Got some hair oil called Amla Gold to incorporate into my weekly scalp massages with castor oil/olive oil/tea tree EO. Got this handy dandy little scalp massager thingy to help in all of that and it feels so good!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm LOVING this back to natural hair care journey I'm on. My natural curl pattern is slowly emerging and I LOVE it. My hair already feels and looks thicker, shinier and softer.

Got my silk/satin pillow case today, as per curly hair protocol, and love that too. Have moved away from any hair thingies that are too tight or pull at the roots or even that pull at the natural hair pattern. Found these little mini clips that hold like a snapping turtle all day long which just made all of this possible...can work outside all day without my hair falling into my eyes now.

The fermented rice water leaves my hair squeaky clean, as it does my scalp.

I'm losing zero hair now...not in the comb, not in the shower, not on my clothes or pillow, when I used to shed like a Malamute in Phoenix. That should help me grow my hair out.

Got some hair oil called Amla Gold to incorporate into my weekly scalp massages with castor oil/olive oil/tea tree EO. Got this handy dandy little scalp massager thingy to help in all of that and it feels so good!
My hair falls out and I shed like the dog. Can you expound further on your hair care? If it is on YT, I don't get much out of it. My internet is not the best.....it starts, stops, the circle thingy rolls on, start, stop, roll the circle, stop, start, roll the circle.....I get ticked off and shut it down.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My hair falls out and I shed like the dog. Can you expound further on your hair care? If it is on YT, I don't get much out of it. My internet is not the best.....it starts, stops, the circle thingy rolls on, start, stop, roll the circle, stop, start, roll the circle.....I get ticked off and shut it down.

It's pretty simple...wash your hair one last time with a clarifying shampoo of your choice to strip it pretty good. Then follow up with an all natural shampoo and conditioner that has no silicones, no sulfates, no parabens, no mineral oils, etc.

Then continue in that from now on. Many brands are jumping on the no silicones, no sulfates band wagon lately but you have to be careful and read your labels. They will try to trick you with the front of the bottle. Here's a site with the current list of products that are healthier for your hair and contain none of the bad stuff:

https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/147483/cg-friendly-products-list

I'll make it real easy on you...Walmart carries two brands/lines that are fail safe and will produce good results, with the one line being the choice of all people doing natural hair care(Shea Moisture). Shea Moisture and Maui~both have some amazing products of all kinds and for all kinds of hair. Shea Moisture is the more popular of the two, but Maui is cheaper.

The key to stop losing so much hair is to moisturize, moisturize, ,moisturize your scalp and hair. No more hair dryer on a heat setting, no heat styling at all. Rinse your hair in tepid water to seal the moisture into the cuticle of the hair.

Use a large tooth comb for detangling. Don't wash your hair more than 2 times a week and take it down to one time if you can work up to it.

No using a terry cloth towel for drying your hair and no rubbing to dry it...you can use a microfiber towel or even an old T shirt and you just scrunch the hair with that or wrap the hair up in these things to soak up the excess water.

Protective hair styling for sleeping...either place your hair in a loose tie(scrunchies...no thin hair bands) on top of your head or sleep in a satin cap and/or use a satin or silk pillow case. All that friction against a cotton pillow case as you sleep at night is wearing on your hair strands. I just use a silk/satin pillow case as my hair is really too short to do any good by placing it all on top of my head...plus I sleep on my stomach, so it doesn't touch the pillow all that much.

Deep condition at least once a month with a good hair oil or oil mix~I use castor oil, olive oil, amla oil and tea tree oil. Warm in microwave, place on scalp and massage in for 10 min. then wash out and proceed with normal hair routine. I use mine once a week as I'm trying to grow my hair out, but you don't really need to do that with your long and lovely hair, Bay.

For me it was very soon after I started using the Maui product, particularly plenty of conditioner, that I noticed the lack of hair loss...it was amazing. If I had all the hairs I used to lose in one place I could make my own yak. Every year.

Now I'm using the Maui shampoo and the Shea Moisture conditioner, following up with a little Maui or Shea Moisture deep conditioner on the ends. I never used to use more than a little conditioner on my ends but never all through my hair...thought it would weigh my hair down and leave me greasy. Maybe the old chemically conditioner would do that, but this all natural stuff is amazing! Soft hair, never a heavy or greasy feeling even on day three hair, amazing shine.

To think that all that hair will remain on my head now is astounding...could be I can finally grow my hair back out to where it used to be when I was young.