Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The oatmeal might stick longer if you put cream or butter in it. I dunno if that works with the Wahls Protocol, but it would help with the hunger pangs.
I put some cream in it, but not enough! I was thinking butter might be good in it too!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Grocery shopping done $130 at grocery store, $80 from Misfits Market. That should last 1 - 2 weeks. I should start taking pictures of grocery haul. So much work...

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Grocery shopping done $130 at grocery store, $80 from Misfits Market. That should last 1 - 2 weeks. I should start taking pictures of grocery haul. So much work...
I would be interested to hear what was on your grocery list--we are making some more changes at our house and trying to find more whole foods at the grocery store but it is so hard.

We started Misfits--this will be our 2nd week--the girls loved all the pears and apples I got! They have been eating them like they are a treat and the carrots too (with the skin on).

Do you meal prep before you make your list and shop or do you shop and then meal prep off what you have? or do you not meal prep. I think this is where I am struggling.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would be interested to hear what was on your grocery list--we are making some more changes at our house and trying to find more whole foods at the grocery store but it is so hard.

We started Misfits--this will be our 2nd week--the girls loved all the pears and apples I got! They have been eating them like they are a treat and the carrots too (with the skin on).

Do you meal prep before you make your list and shop or do you shop and then meal prep off what you have? or do you not meal prep. I think this is where I am struggling.
I shop based on whatever I can get or whatever looks best. I prep ingredients rather than meals. So instead of cooking a meal, I will roast the roast, cook or roast the veggies, etc, with minimal spices. Then when it's mealtime I have precooked meat and sides ready to season and assemble. I started doing this to cope with chronic illnesses/fatigue but it works well for us.

My grocery items included
  • 3 different organic 100% juice without added natural flavors. These are an expensive splurge item I don't normally get. Ginger turmeric carrot, cranberry, and sweet cherry.
  • A small box of rice crackers without natural flavors, coconut or palm. They're not even good but it just feels like a treat to be able to buy something in box.
  • 5 small pouches of Skinny Dipped chocolate covered almonds. They don't have natural flavors, palm, coconut, or soy, which is rare for chocolate. These are for my backpack to replace fast food since I can't eat much away from home.
  • 3 boxes of organic wheat squares cereal (similar to LIFE original), no natural flavors, not enriched/fortified and no palm/coconut/soy ingredients. It's the only box cereal that doesn't make me sick. I keep it around for Plan B, and because DH likes cereal when he works late. He doesn't like this cereal but he's less likely to buy Captain Crunch when it's here.
  • 2 pounds of not-enriched whole wheat spaghetti. These are a test to see if my family will tolerate it. If they do I will try growing durum wheat.
  • Grapes - they looked good and Misfits Market grapes have always disappointed me
  • 2 lemons (for extract / hard seltzer), they are waxed and will need a thorough scrub
  • 3# bag mandarins - for DS6
  • 2 bananas - for DS6
  • Bear brand fruit rolls for DS6 because he asked nicely and I ran out of homemade fruit leather
  • 1 pound locally grown leafy greens, the highest price of local greens but the only local option at the store
  • 1 pack pepperoni that doesn't contain natural flavors BHT or BHQ. Only kind I can get around here meeting those requirements. $6.99/7 oz. This is destined for The Essential Baking Company pizza crusts from Misfits Market, or to be chopped and added to homemade ragu sauce
  • 4 cans of pineapple, settle on Del Monte Deluxe Gold because it's the only brand that has tidbit size cut without "clarified" juice. I'd like all the nutrients in my juice please and thank you. Thank goodness these were on sale, I would have bought a different cut of pineapple instead otherwise.
  • 2 cans of large black olives for DS14. He prefers kalamata olives but they're too expensive at this grocery store compared to other stores in the area.
  • Prunes for DS14
  • Raisins for DS6
  • Currants because I've never noticed them before and I'm always striving for more variety
  • 1 pound chia seeds because the price was good, I usually feed them to chickens to boost omega-3 in their eggs.
  • a can of peaches in extra light syrup and a can in pear juice to see which tastes better. Same amount of sugar in each. Packed in extra light syrup is easier to find than packed in 100% juice - especially since I won't buy them in plastic cups
That's my list from memory. I might have missed something but not much. It was a short list for the price.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My next MM box will be
  • 4 red bartlett pears - for DS6 and DS14
  • 2 tommy atkins mangoes - for DS6
  • 2 star fruit - they're usually bland and terrible, but I was feeling adventurous
  • oyster mushrooms - for DS14, he roasts them and put on salad for school lunch
  • 4 small Hass avocado for DS14, he takes them for school lunch
  • 4 organic sweet potatoes - usually these are HUGE. these get sliced thin and roasted for DS14's school lunches
  • Flat leaf spinach - these are for salad or will be dehydrated and powdered and I hide it in food or put them in a capsule (I don't like eating salad!)
  • Romaine hearts - for DS14's lunched. Romaine lasts longer than other greens
  • Maitake mushrooms - new variety for DS14 to try
  • Celeriac - IDK what to do with them. DS14 likes puree "cream soup" made out of them, so that's plan B
  • The Essential Bread Company sourdough loaf, I keep a few loaves on hand for when I don't bake. Soudough is not our preference but it was the only kind this week
  • 2 pounds Flax seed - good price, it's for chicken food
  • ACV with the mother - I want the mother to make vinegar
  • Mammoth pecan halves - for DH
  • Dried figs - for DS14
  • Chocolate covered coffee beans - for me! they are coconut/palm/soy free and no natural flavoring! Can't wait!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I shop based on whatever I can get or whatever looks best. I prep ingredients rather than meals. So instead of cooking a meal, I will roast the roast, cook or roast the veggies, etc, with minimal spices. Then when it's mealtime I have precooked meat and sides ready to season and assemble. I started doing this to cope with chronic illnesses/fatigue but it works well for us.

My grocery items included
  • 3 different organic 100% juice without added natural flavors. These are an expensive splurge item I don't normally get. Ginger turmeric carrot, cranberry, and sweet cherry.
  • A small box of rice crackers without natural flavors, coconut or palm. They're not even good but it just feels like a treat to be able to buy something in box.
  • 5 small pouches of Skinny Dipped chocolate covered almonds. They don't have natural flavors, palm, coconut, or soy, which is rare for chocolate. These are for my backpack to replace fast food since I can't eat much away from home.
  • 3 boxes of organic wheat squares cereal (similar to LIFE original), no natural flavors, not enriched/fortified and no palm/coconut/soy ingredients. It's the only box cereal that doesn't make me sick. I keep it around for Plan B, and because DH likes cereal when he works late. He doesn't like this cereal but he's less likely to buy Captain Crunch when it's here.
  • 2 pounds of not-enriched whole wheat spaghetti. These are a test to see if my family will tolerate it. If they do I will try growing durum wheat.
  • Grapes - they looked good and Misfits Market grapes have always disappointed me
  • 2 lemons (for extract / hard seltzer), they are waxed and will need a thorough scrub
  • 3# bag mandarins - for DS6
  • 2 bananas - for DS6
  • Bear brand fruit rolls for DS6 because he asked nicely and I ran out of homemade fruit leather
  • 1 pound locally grown leafy greens, the highest price of local greens but the only local option at the store
  • 1 pack pepperoni that doesn't contain natural flavors BHT or BHQ. Only kind I can get around here meeting those requirements. $6.99/7 oz. This is destined for The Essential Baking Company pizza crusts from Misfits Market, or to be chopped and added to homemade ragu sauce
  • 4 cans of pineapple, settle on Del Monte Deluxe Gold because it's the only brand that has tidbit size cut without "clarified" juice. I'd like all the nutrients in my juice please and thank you. Thank goodness these were on sale, I would have bought a different cut of pineapple instead otherwise.
  • 2 cans of large black olives for DS14. He prefers kalamata olives but they're too expensive at this grocery store compared to other stores in the area.
  • Prunes for DS14
  • Raisins for DS6
  • Currants because I've never noticed them before and I'm always striving for more variety
  • 1 pound chia seeds because the price was good, I usually feed them to chickens to boost omega-3 in their eggs.
  • a can of peaches in extra light syrup and a can in pear juice to see which tastes better. Same amount of sugar in each. Packed in extra light syrup is easier to find than packed in 100% juice - especially since I won't buy them in plastic cups
That's my list from memory. I might have missed something but not much. It was a short list for the price.
Thanks for sharing, this helps. I didn't know about the chia seeds for the chickens--I do like them in my smoothies when I make them-coconut yogurt is just so expensive and a lot of sugar. Black olives are a staple in our house, the girls eat them just as a side/snack.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My next MM box will be
  • 4 red bartlett pears - for DS6 and DS14
  • 2 tommy atkins mangoes - for DS6
  • 2 star fruit - they're usually bland and terrible, but I was feeling adventurous
  • oyster mushrooms - for DS14, he roasts them and put on salad for school lunch
  • 4 small Hass avocado for DS14, he takes them for school lunch
  • 4 organic sweet potatoes - usually these are HUGE. these get sliced thin and roasted for DS14's school lunches
  • Flat leaf spinach - these are for salad or will be dehydrated and powdered and I hide it in food or put them in a capsule (I don't like eating salad!)
  • Romaine hearts - for DS14's lunched. Romaine lasts longer than other greens
  • Maitake mushrooms - new variety for DS14 to try
  • Celeriac - IDK what to do with them. DS14 likes puree "cream soup" made out of them, so that's plan B
  • The Essential Bread Company sourdough loaf, I keep a few loaves on hand for when I don't bake. Soudough is not our preference but it was the only kind this week
  • 2 pounds Flax seed - good price, it's for chicken food
  • ACV with the mother - I want the mother to make vinegar
  • Mammoth pecan halves - for DH
  • Dried figs - for DS14
  • Chocolate covered coffee beans - for me! they are coconut/palm/soy free and no natural flavoring! Can't wait!
You can cut up the celeriac and make into fries :) I have one in my fridge right now that will be mixed in with potatoes and mashed this week.

Our orders sound very similar :) I got a persimmon instead of star fruit though--feeling adventurous as well. I ordered pita bread for DD15-hard to find specialty breads without nut exposures. I would love to hear what you think about the chocolate covered coffee beans! I got organic mayo for a penny!