Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can' you smash the bones up really fine and use it in a salmon patty? I like salmon patties...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been dairy-free and grain-free for a week! I survived! This diet is getting easier, although I am using some temporary crutches to cope with missing dairy.

My grocery haul for the week was $40 (rounded).

4# kiwi, 6 small hass avocado, 2 very large containers organic baby spinach spring mix, 4# carrots, the remaining sweet potatoes perhaps 5#, mini sweet peppers, cherry tomatoes, gallon of whole milk, a can of beans, 3 cans of pineapple in 100% pineapple juice.

Supper menu for the week (and I'm SURE it will not turn out this way in real life) is

Monday - "spaghetti" sauce with pasta for family, zoodles for me. The spaghetti sauce needs explanation. It includes squash, pumpkin, carrot, beets, tomato, venison, onion, garlic, green pepper, and generous Italian spices. Also a bit of baking soda to neutralize the acids added to canned tomato. served with large salad, a blend of sunflower, pepitas, and sliced almonds on top of the salad.

Tuesday - roasted lamb shanks with halved fresh onion. Squash. Salad. Possibly pea soup if I run out and get split peas. I have a pot of pork bone broth to use and I though pea soup would be good.

Wednesday - Chili. This will use leftover "spaghetti" sauce from Monday. I'll take some out for myself (and freeze some for later), then add corn, beans, and chopped pasta leftover from Monday. Serve with cornbread for family, might make flatbread for myself with coconut flour.

Thursday - boneless roast, salad. (blah) We'll probably end up eating leftover chili or pea soup. :gig

Friday - leftover roast. probably as sandwiches. biscuits for family, flatbread for me. salad. green beans.

Saturday - soup. Probably puree squash soup and then add leftovers to it.

WP-compliant breakfasts will be roasted sweet potatoes. My WP-compliant lunches will be salads and these delicious little flatbreads I'm obsessed with right now. They're a little coconut flour pancaky thing that aren't very good on their own. I added savory spices to the batter and put chopped up tomatoes and peppers on top. The moisture from the tomatoes improves their texture. They're legitimately yummy!

I hate chopping onions, but found frozen chopped onion at a tolerable price in my hometown. Can't find them up where I live. I bought 10 bags. Probably should have bought double. :D

I haven't been getting my organ meats in lately. I have not solved my problem with boney canned salmon either. I have not been eating enough alliums and brassicas. I'm putting most of my energy into staying dairy free and grain free, and trying to make suppers that are WP-friendly and my family will eat.

Next upcoming experiment is making ghee from butter. Ghee is a permitted food!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - Impressed as usual with the things you do! Glad you've found a way to (mostly) make it work! I may have to look up a flatbread recipe. I've got lots of coconut flour so experimenting with different recipes is ok with me. Good luck with the Ghee - I could not live without butter...it's one of the things that helps me stay mostly keto.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been buying thick fruit leather for emergency snacks for myself (and kids). The kind I like are pricey and really cannot justify them except for travel meal replacements. I'm experimenting with homemade fruit leather. I'm just using applesauce (so will be for kids, not me). If it works reasonably well I'll try cooking up some fruits and veggies for fruit leather for myself.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been eating high carb this past week to cope with eliminating dairy and gluten. So no keto benefits yet. It's too soon to say. I believe it takes 3 weeks elimination of dairy and grain proteins to notice a difference. My GI tract is quite pleased with me eating all the veggies! :gig It would be hard to me to guess what improvement is from better sleep versus better food. Still playing wait-and-see.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I gotta say, this diet is making me think much more about giving up grocery store dependence. Sugar and grains were the things that would be most difficult to produce. well... just don't eat them, problem solved. :D I'm glad I haven't placed my garden seed order yet, my thoughts on growing and eating for the next year are still evolving.

I would have difficulty with sourcing fats, oils, and managing to deal with produce [or lack of] in winter.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I will end up going over my grocery budget for the month. My guess/goal was $250 for family of 4. My family is eating more Wahls compliant food than I expected. And there were two regrettable shopping trips to the tune of about $120. Whoops. I have 9 days left until the end of my "month" (credit card billing cycle) and expect one more grocery shopping trip, about $50. I'm confident I can do $250 or less next month.

I have the cookbook Nom Nom Paleo from the library. It's good! The meals are a stretch for me, but the condiment recipes are very helpful! I will be trying a few things!

Today I have eaten
4 savory coconut flour "flatbreads" topped with tomatoes. They're about the size of half of a burger bun.
roasted sweet potatoes
two oranges
smoothie - frozen mixed berries, coconut cream, water
caramelized onion in ghee, with egg and wilted baby spinach spring mix

I need to have a big (5 cups) salad for supper, and I should eat tuna today. I still haven't ventured into boney canned salmon yet. :sick