Wannabefree...guess what I got in the mail today!?!?!?!?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
1235987398_cute_chick.gif

:D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Never had one in an incubator. Any chicks I've had have either been purchased, or came from under a hen. But, they all sure are cute.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Chicks :love :love

Did you say what kind they are?
Delaware babies! Some still a wee bit wet.

OHHHHHHHH...I'VE GOT A LOVELY BUNCH OF FLUFFY BUTTS DOODLE DEE DO! :lol:

2291_del_babies_003.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
What's the saying...better late than never? It's 26 degrees out today :p
I put a wood stove on lay-a-way YESTERDAY at TSC. :lol: It's a small cast iron stove, with two pull out lids to cook, but big enough to heat my 1300 sq. ft. home, and considering the free wood out back...it'll definately save us more than it costs to install!! I'm looking forward to burning and cooking on it this winter already! Probably more burning than cooking...or burning the food :lol: Oh well, trial and error. Any tips from you experienced folks are welcome. I haven't had wood heat since I was a kid, and didn't do anything but chop stack and haul wood then. I tended a few fires, but mom wouldn't let me near it very often. It sure was warm after unloading stacking a cord or two though :)

I'm going to the flea market to see about getting some snake food for DD's python now :ep Then I have to come back and do chores and get ready for the big outing to school for the annual harvest festival extraordinaire :weee

Later peeps ;) Hope everyone lives the day to it's fullest! :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Potatoes wrapped in foil and baked in a wood stove taste way better than potatoes baked in the oven or microwave. And, if you need hot water for something, you can leave water on the stove and let it heat up that way.

Our wood stove is in the basement, and I often wish it was closer to the kitchen. While mine doesn't have the "burners", it does have a flat top, and I can cook on it. I would do a lot more of that if I didn't have to go down in the basement to use it.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
:woot on the stove! Are you installing yourself or having someone do that for you? I'm sure it won't take you long and you'll be cooking on it like a pro!

Have fun at the harvest festival!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations, you'll love it!

Deb is sooooo right. I don't know how, but it adds a deeper flavor to the potatoes. I wish I could do them that way all year long. They're wonderful!

My tip would be make sure your wood is good and dry and well-seasoned. Creosote is a pain in the butt and you'll have to clean your chimney more often if you don't.

Also, try to stay home and pay attention to how your stove works those first few days you run it. It will help you get a feel for how much wood to add, how different kinds of wood burn, how much air to let in the damper and how often you'll need to add wood to keep it going.

Enjoy the toasty warmth!! :cool:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the advice! :) I can't wait to try some of those potatoes now! :drool You all are making me hungry :p

The harvest festival was pretty fun. Me and DD both won a cake each, I won 2 actually and little niece oicked out the second one for me. The kids had fun at the children's games and got lots of candy and stuff. I got a couple things at the silent auction. All in all, I spent $20 and brought home that much worth of "stuff." Not as good as they have had previous years, but it seems like everyone is broke and not many donated :(

The Operation Christmas child boxes are done, and I have enough stuff left to fill several more boxes. Someone else will donate shipping on the ones I fill up, so it works out. I went over budget a bit on those anyway LOL! I hope we can fill at least 5 more. SO MANY kids have next to nothing that our kids often take for granted. I hate to see all the empty boxes left over knowing what a good cause this is!! Ok, off the soapbox :lol:

Hope everyone had a great day! I did!!! ;)