Wannabefree...guess what I got in the mail today!?!?!?!?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yay!!!!!! Beekissed and Denim Deb! Glad you two had as good a day as I! :)

I sell the acorns Deb ;) I usually get around 2 tons per season :)

OH MAN! Had a BLAST at church tonight! I visited at my mom's church just down the road from here. Kids went on a hayride and I sat around with the older retired ladies in the fellowship hall after the fish fry! Those women are a HOOT! Oh, and I had caffeine for the first time in 2 months and I AM WIRED! Gosh I wonder how my body ever stood the stuff! I can't sit still :lol:
Anyway, one lady said her hubby goes fishing...but DOES NOT eat fish!?!?!?! Sooo...I said...well give them to me if you all won't eat them. No sense in wasting, right? I told her I'd clean them and put them in the freezer, so she said she might do just that :D Hope she DOES! I'd be glad to clean them! He usually gets around 75-100 when he goes out :ep THAT would be SWEET!!!! I also got permission to get acorns from the church yard if I want them. They sent me home with a pan of fish and fries....it was SOOOO yummy! I am gonna gain some weight this week LOL! Aside from all that it really was a great visit at mom's church, the other stuff is just some SWEET bonuses ;) Lovely bunch of people!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just read your journal. Wish I had white oaks in my yard! I have mainly southern red oaks. :(

I've heard of some of the bands that you listen to, but I don't listen to much music on the radio. There are 2 Christian radio stations that I know of in this area. One plays mostly what I call old people's music. The majority of the songs I have nothing against, but I can't stand how they're sung. And, the other one has mainly praise and worship songs. And, while I don't mind them, I like a balance of old hymns w/the praise and worship songs.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Just read your journal. Wish I had white oaks in my yard! I have mainly southern red oaks. :(

I've heard of some of the bands that you listen to, but I don't listen to much music on the radio. There are 2 Christian radio stations that I know of in this area. One plays mostly what I call old people's music. The majority of the songs I have nothing against, but I can't stand how they're sung. And, the other one has mainly praise and worship songs. And, while I don't mind them, I like a balance of old hymns w/the praise and worship songs.
The Red Oaks are harder to market, and do not go for as much, but do a little research. You can make acorn meal and use in your own kitchen ;) Yeah...I had no clue they were edible either :D

Anyway, on the music, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! Southern Gospel...grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard! It's NOT the message it's the vocals! :lol: I buy all the CD's of bands I like...it's just easier :idunno The radio OVERPLAYS Mercy Me, and a few others.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know the acorns are edible. And, one year I did try to cook up a bunch of them. It took forever because of the tannin. They tasted good once I got the tannin out, but I just didn't have the time to do all of that. And, even though we have several oak trees in the yard, there's also a bunch of squirrels in the area. As far as I can tell, they get the majority of the acorns. Either that or our trees just don't produce that many.

If you have people that want to pay a premium for your acorns, and don't want any that have bugs, put them in water first. If they float, they have bugs. (Or is it the other way around?) Makes it easier to separate them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah I have to float all my orders and then redry them prior to shipment. Didn't learn that until I got with the guy who buys bulk. He has taught me a lot ;) Great work relationship!! It has been beneficial to the both of us. he can't buy acorns cheaper than what I supply him, and I have a mentor so to speak. I LOVE it!! He has tipped me off on several other things I can sell as well, and some of which he buys himself. I love my job! :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
STILL sick! I was up all night. DH has got it now :( I'm getting nothing done today. I'm having one of those "everything falls apart, no matter what you do" days today :lol: The new pup won't stay out of trouble, the old dog won't quit whining, the house is still a wreck from the weekend, and I am sitting on my butt trying to figure out this weeks supper menu and scheduling....*sigh* Tomorrow will be better ;) Today if I get ANYTHING at all done...I will feel very accomplished! Still a good day though, no matter what, because I know tomorrow will have to be better. Nowhere to go but UP! :lol:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can join my club. I have a cold, that I got from going to San Jose last week for my mother. I feel terrible. Luckliy she didn't get the cold, cus I was the one opening doors, pushing buttons on elevators, pushing the carts, etc. Haven't had a cold in over a year now.....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
You can join my club. I have a cold, that I got from going to San Jose last week for my mother. I feel terrible. Luckliy she didn't get the cold, cus I was the one opening doors, pushing buttons on elevators, pushing the carts, etc. Haven't had a cold in over a year now.....
I started feeling ill LAST Monday and still feel like garbage! Hope yours is over sooner!! :hugs :hugs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I went and picked acorns this morning. The trees still aren't dropping them like they should be...maybe another week. *sigh* I'm READY NOW though :lol: I feel better, finally. Not completely well, but at least not horrible. DH told me to stay in today :rolleyes: but obviously THAT idea went out the door with him this morning :lol: It's sweet of him to worry about me though, and I will stay in the rest of the day...kinda :p My buddy is still out picking, so I will still meet my goal for the week. I'll have to go get her in a bit.

I did actually get some laundry done yesterday :D I will finish that up today and make bread for the week. I also need to go vote, and pick up some things for my Operation Christmas child boxes. THEN, I'm coming home and getting on more chores. I feel like baking a bunch of goodies!! DD will be ecstatic ;)

Can't wait for chicks to hatch Thursday!! :ya :ya

Oh, what an exciting life I lead! :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have CHICKIES!!!!!!!!!! It's always exciting to see new babies in the bator with an eggshell still stuck to their butt! :lol:

Chickies!! :ya :ya :weee :weee :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun :weee :weee :ya :ya