Weather

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sad about the choices having to be made of livestock owners in these heavy drought areas. And yes, it will affect beef for a few years. We have been fortunate in my area of east coast to have had rain. We are down a few inches from normal but only dry, not drought. Less beef on tables, more alternative meats....mostly smaller, faster producing . Ya like lamb, goat, rabbit, chicken, pork? Probably be seeing more of that being offered.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So sad about the choices having to be made of livestock owners in these heavy drought areas. And yes, it will affect beef for a few years. We have been fortunate in my area of east coast to have had rain. We are down a few inches from normal but only dry, not drought. Less beef on tables, more alternative meats....mostly smaller, faster producing . Ya like lamb, goat, rabbit, chicken, pork? Probably be seeing more of that being offered.

grow more beans and peas, plus whole grains and greens. :)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
31 deg F this morning at 5 am-thank goodness I covered the lettuce. I NEED a small hoop style greenhouse, lol. The weekend we are headed to the 70s and then next week in the 60s. Fall is here and winter is looming.

Hope anyone and any family anyone has in the path of the hurricane are safe.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
two cool nights in the forecast and then back to moderate weather for the next many days which would be great to dry things out and see what i can get picked through in the bean patches and whatever gardens can be put up for winter.

certainly tired of looking out at the drizzle, clouds and bits of rain. i have things to do! :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am now at the hummmmmmm stage of if I want to turn on the heat or not.

No heat sure costs less than yes heat. :lol:

there's this illness at our propane companies whereby if we don't use enough they charge us for that, but what they charge is not quite enough to make up the difference in cost if we actually burn more propane to get into the "have used enough for the season" range again. the past few years when it has come up i've been able to talk them out of charging us, but this year i'm turning the heat up a few degrees. yes, it will cost us more, but Mom is cold too often and i'd rather she be comfortable and i'll figure out how to pay for it. i can afford it - i just grumble at every penny i have to spend extra that i have to and i'll pinch the copper out of it first if i can...