Weather

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pig is happy, she gets fresh cool water every day. The pond is not happy. It's in the construction phase but has held water with every significant rain. No water now. However, it is actually a little moist in the bottom from yesterday's drizzle.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They keep saying shoers/rain/t-storms... we had a dark cloud come over and got about 15 sprinkles.... still muggy. Started partly sunny but getting cloudier... more chances of some serious rain they say for the next 2-4 days... We are good here but some areas right around have not gotten any so it wouldn't hurt...
Wish I could send some to Texas and other drought stricken areas....
I was watching a cattle auctioneer in Texas and video of the trailer lines at the auction house. Buyers buying from the midwestern states :oops:.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
raining a bit now, looks like more might get here later. it will be a good day to be inside anyways as it looks like i have other things scheduled by the management. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Nice gentle thunderstorms right now, light to medium rain, relaxing sounds. Have the windows open

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter ... if you were watching that video of the lines for the sale barn in Emery TX, there were over 100 trailers there in line... in both directions... they had over 3500 head that Sat at the sale when their normal numbers this time of year run 1500 +/-. Most of the sale barns in the drought areas are reporting about double the numbers of animals than normal this time of year. There is NOTHING to feed them... no grass, no hay to be found at most any price. And now there are reports of some water sources drying up.
When these animals cycle through the systems... and the cull cow numbers have been 4 times normal... there will be that many less animals for breeding and that many less feeder calves for the next couple years. Heifers put on feed for slaughter are 3% higher than this time last year... that is further depletion of the breeding population.
The drought monitor map is scary. Look at New England... they never ever have those kinds of drought up there... and you are talking areas where they get an average 1 inch a week... similar to here in Va.... not that they are a big cattle or crop producing area,,,,but the trends are not good. Normally there is alot of influence from the Atlantic ocean... but not this year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it may be time to check out if Japanese Beetles are edible or not. so many this year on the beans. i squish them and leave them on the ground by the plants, and then they seem to be gone as something is eating them, but whatever that something is doesn't seem to have figured out how to eat the thousands that are just a few inches up further... hey, you, look up there!...

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woke up at 43F this morning, highs in the low 60s. Highs in the 50s tomorrow with a potential frost warning overnight, getting down to 34F. YIKES and if that doesn't sound sad, our area has now hit the period where there is more dark then light (nothing like what you endure @Alaskan but enough to make me feel like a squirrel scrambling before winter)

Latest posts