Weather

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are enjoying a week or so of more normal summer temps, but the fire officials have warned us to expect the fires to continue into November. Huge amounts of government lands have gone up in smoke, and they are not even trying to fight it; they are concentrating on trying to save homes and businesses instead.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They don't actually choose homes if they are out in the forest. Too dangerous for the firefighters.

Mom and Dad have a cabin in a little community that has up to 2 acre lots in the mountain woods near Heppner, Oregon. I think there are about 25 cabins. Every year they get a notice from the forest service that they will not save houses.

They are close enough that the town will send out trucks IF you pay a yearly fee for the service but they are 20 miles away.

All trees must be trimmed up 10 feet. All grass must be cut short. All forest debris must be picked up. Outdoor watering is NOT allowed ever. There are community springs for household use only and the state water board has threatened to cut it off for all but the 3 original cabins that have actual water rights in their deeds because of misuse. Spring is limited on flow. No use of creek water. There are people with actual water rights downstream. One jerkface got a huge fine for diverting a couple years ago so bad he sold his place.

It may be wooded mountains but it's barely above the surrounding high desert.

They got a notice this year from the forest service that if a fire is tracked to their place as a start, they will be paying for it. No use of lawn mower, weed wackers, or even electric drills. Nothing that has a hot engine or can cause a spark. Dad barely got the last weed trim done before the ban.

Edited because I mis-remembered and it's 10 ft not 16 for branch clearance cutting. I asked Mom when she called.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, here, after our land being a dust bowl, there are now standing ponds in the lawn. ducks were happy, happy, happy yesterday. Lovely breeze, scuttling the clouds across from the north. big ol Northern Goshawk soaring around, looking to nab one of my birds. Not today, buster!

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beautiful rain here again! Not constant, the clouds blow over, drop a bit and move on. Its lovely! The ducks are happy again with puddles to play in. I was happy last night falling asleep with the sound of rain on a tin roof. The mulching is happy because it rained both before and after I laid it and the plants are especially happy.

Daffodils and snowdrops literally dancing in the rain :D

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beautiful rain here again! Not constant, the clouds blow over, drop a bit and move on. Its lovely! The ducks are happy again with puddles to play in. I was happy last night falling asleep with the sound of rain on a tin roof. The mulching is happy because it rained both before and after I laid it and the plants are especially happy.

Daffodils and snowdrops literally dancing in the rain :D
Poetic

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of crate training cats. A favorite topic. If you want to be subjected to verbal vomit, ask. Otherwise I will bite my tongue and sit on my hands. 🤣
2 of 3 did fine. Scooped them up no worries. Complained the whole time, but when it was over each sauntered out and wanted scritches.

The third, special one, was a stinker. Bit the wife. When she got out, broke the sound barrier trying to find a place to hide. Next time she goes first.

Always willing to learn something new. Bring it. Lol