West Coast Milk

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Who knows to what degree or if its media hype> Radiation is said to have found its way into the west coast of USA milk supply. Are any of you west coast SS'er avoiding fresh local milk by you..? Are you using your stored stash of powder milk at this time, if you have any..? I just curious...I have some,and think for now i'd use my stash of powder milk until we knew better the conseqences of the Japanese crisis..

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
hmmm, do I want to consume oxidized cholesterol, or minute radiation?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
LOL...pick you poison.! Seriously, never heard of the stuff you mentioned,do you think its worse...?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
LOL...pick you poison.! Seriously, never heard of the stuff you mentioned,do you think its worse...?
Natural cholesterol, found in animal foods is fabulous stuff. It feeds your brain and supports you endocrine system, and allows your body to not have to work so hard producing it.
The process the goes into making powdered milk, oxidizes the cholesterol, making it toxic, and very bad for your pipes.
I will choose raw, or do without, before drinking powdered.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not to mentioned powdered is just plain nasty tasting. So is pasteurized milk.

I'd take some kelp or spirulina and drink your fresh milk. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The statement put out by my raw creamery Dungeness Valley Creamery:
Worried about radiation in DVC milk? Contamination comes from cows eating contaminated grass. Our cows are still in the barn from the wet winter/spring. We are feeding alfalfa hay that was purchased in Nevada, and put up last summer. Even if they were on grass, the amount of contamination is so miniscule, they aren't sure if it is from Japan or from somewhere/something else. Hope this helps ease your mind a bit!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The other option (for virtually everyone, anyhow) is just NOT to drink milk for as long as it worries you :) Any number of people on this planet NEVER drink milk and do just fine. it is a peculiarly American idea, it seems to me, that milk is an essential of life (er, for adults I mean).

Or, if you have your own dairy animal, to keep it indoors off pasture and buy alfalfa from elsewhere (and use 'clean' wellwater).

I'd do either of those before I used powdered milk in any significant quantity, eeuw :p

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I want to consume oxidized cholesterol, or minute radiation?
I'd take my chances with the radiation. Even if the radiation were high enough to cause problems (and it isn't IMO), it would kill me a lot slower than oxidized cholesterol.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Wow..! Thanks for the heads up guys...I never knew powdered milk was so bad for you...! Glad i only have about 6 #10 cans...! Who would have thought...!? I always got the impression it was the next best thing to real milk, or at least for baking/cooking if the real stuff wasn't availble/safe...I learned something new...thanks guys...