What Are They Thinking...??

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The older I get, the more SS I see my self being in the future. :)

Because of my nature...I would get a big sign that said--

We are the Jones'

:)

I'm not one to tell other people that they should, or should not be living a certain way, as long as they are supporting themselves.

If tax dollars start getting involved via social programs...Ok...I won't go into politics, but I will just say that once you decide to take social help from the taxpayers via the government, you loose rights.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
DL, I like that pool! I wouldn't mind having one myself, but not where I live now. I KNOW the neighbors would complain. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what rights would someone lose because they are on government assistance? I would think they would not lose any of their rights.....but of course people always judge how they live their life or spend their checks lol

It is funny but as I get older I have become a little less SS than when younger. I sure am way more SS than millions of others but getting older now I am using a few more shortcuts and conveniences.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I sure am way more SS than millions of others but getting older now I am using a few more shortcuts and conveniences.
this is why we are doing this now. as it is we are both so creeeeek-y when we first get up. we feel like a coupla 90 year olds. and both of us practically need walkers until we move around a little. i figure at some point we'll have to give it up and go and live in a condo in Boca and hang out beside the pool
;-)

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a good idea dragonlaurel and Ibiceea.I like the way you folks think,i'd love to have neighbors like you guys..!
Perhaps we could start a planned community.They are popular in the northwest,so i've read. Underground homes are so neat.Efficient energy wise, if done a certain way, they blend in nicely with surrounding nature.Some have gardens on the roof, i love it. You'd still have to spend alot of money on concrete, but concrete doesn't rot and bugs can't eat it..The new ones are light and airy, not like a dungen of old..The south southest side is usaully alot of glass,the other three sides burmed up with earth.They are so energy efficient,its amazing.I want an underground house to Ibicella.Then dragonlaurel and i can grow garlic on the roof and through stones in that pool/pond full of Talapia....Heaven Found..!
Really though, if money weren't an issue, a planned community of like minded people could be so cool.Who's got alot of money out thier to get things rolling.
Its cold as all hell, which i'm not crazy about, but Maine has lots of clean air and water.The land is harder to farm,alot of rocks to clean up,unless and older established farm were bought.
Any takers...? Fantasy Is. again...lol...NO....it surely can be done...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Never fear OFG! My neighbor from whom I "inherited" my big garden spot from was in his mid 90's and still gardening away. With knowledge comes power. He had HIS garden so organized that it actually took very little to keep it up. He had a potty chair in the little garden shed, a recliner, and a radio in the big one and lawn chairs placed all around. In the morning he would take his lunch box and thermos and go to the garden which was just out behind his apartment. All day he would putter around in the dirt and the sun, then "go home" when he was done for the day or just tired. His wife loved the routine as well. She spent the day in the apartment painting! She also did all of the cooking and canning without him underfoot.

Better than hanging out beside a pool ... and still apartment living!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
FF! this is BRILLIANT!

He had a potty chair in the little garden shed,
i'm fixin' to get me one of those now.. hee hee hee hee hee

happy friday, baby!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A potty chair! Now that's dedication.