WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's turkey season. Time to put up some meat! Me&thegals--canned turkey comes out about the same as deer, add some cornstarch (or a packet of McCormick gravy mix) and you got some tasty fixins.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since we have about 5 feet of snow on the ground I canned chili today. It'll probably be the last chili I can until November or so since no one really cares for the stuff unless the weather is cool. I goofed up and forgot to vent the canner and didn't realize it until I went to check close the cock and found my pressure already sitting at 13 pounds. Ugh, I went ahead and vented it a little bit and then set the timer after it got back up to pressure. Everything sealed perfectly so I think it's okay. Moral of the story: Don't can when you're distracted and doing other stuff.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That reminds me. I am going to try to pressure can this year for the first time. I should start reading my directions. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do a batch of water or dry beans (gotta pre-soak, should be directions in your booklet.) This way, you are not wasting valuable food on the first attempt, and will feel much more comfortable with the process when you actually can something.

You have to get to know your stove with your canner, too, as I discovered. My two large burners don't heat the canner in the same way or at the same speed, nor do they maintain the pressure in the same way.

I was a nervous wreck my first time, visions of exploding canners and shrapnel everywhere! I did a batch of black beans, which was useful in so many ways. And it only cost me a couple bucks for two pounds of the dry beans. You will love it!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Do a batch of water or dry beans (gotta pre-soak, should be directions in your booklet.) This way, you are not wasting valuable food on the first attempt, and will feel much more comfortable with the process when you actually can something.

You have to get to know your stove with your canner, too, as I discovered. My two large burners don't heat the canner in the same way or at the same speed, nor do they maintain the pressure in the same way.

I was a nervous wreck my first time, visions of exploding canners and shrapnel everywhere! I did a batch of black beans, which was useful in so many ways. And it only cost me a couple bucks for two pounds of the dry beans. You will love it!
Y'know, I've discovered that I really, really like black beans. I'm going to have to can some soon.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
It's turkey season. Time to put up some meat! Me&thegals--canned turkey comes out about the same as deer, add some cornstarch (or a packet of McCormick gravy mix) and you got some tasty fixins.
Mmmm.... I never thought of that. Since turkeys would take up SO much freezer space, we will have to consider that for some of them. Our neighbors are hatching us hopefully 15 Bourbon Reds by the end of May, so maybe we'll be canning turkey this fall.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, you might-as-well learn what happens when you let the pressure get too high with something like cheap beans, rather than the veggies you slaved over all summer!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I woke up at 4:30 a.m. yesterday morning to get prepared for a long, hot day.

In the end it was well worth it. I wound up with 7 quarts of Beef Pot Pie filling, 7 quarts and 5 pints of Veg. Beep Soup, 5 quarts of the best BBQ Pork, MMM!!!!

Hope you have all the canning supplies that you'll need this season. I was told by some of the stores I've visited that when they run out there not going to order any more until next year. What a bummer. Gotta stock up now :)