WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday I canned 22 half pints of mushrooms and 5 half pints of mushrooms and green peppers, and 7 quarts mushroom broth.
shown is only the 22 half pints of mushrooms.

IMG_1953.jpg

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, I have got to can some more mushrooms!!! How did you get that pretty broth with your 'shrooms? I usually just raw pack with water and salt which tastes great but yours look so much prettier.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Oh, I have got to can some more mushrooms!!! How did you get that pretty broth with your 'shrooms? I usually just raw pack with water and salt which tastes great but yours look so much prettier.
Thank You! I let them get to boiling and then turn them down and let em simmer for 10-15 minutes. A lot of recipes call for dumping the water out but I have always used the broth that I let them simmer in to can in. Then I canned some of the broth for later such as gravies, soups, etc. I think by doing the mushrooms this way makes them have a much richer taste.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank You! We just love mushrooms and when my son brought me 20 packages home I just had no choice but to can them. He had found a good deal on them so what was a girl to do....lol...

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
farmerlor said:
Thank You! I let them get to boiling and then turn them down and let em simmer for 10-15 minutes. A lot of recipes call for dumping the water out but I have always used the broth that I let them simmer in to can in. Then I canned some of the broth for later such as gravies, soups, etc. I think by doing the mushrooms this way makes them have a much richer taste.
Do they still have that mushroom texture, meaning do they get mushy or anything when you cook them before canning? Like I said, I've always raw packed because I was afraid of them getting too "cooked" tasting but I think I'm going to try it your way the next time we get a really good sale on 'shrooms.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
kimnkell said:
farmerlor said:
Do they still have that mushroom texture, meaning do they get mushy or anything when you cook them before canning? Like I said, I've always raw packed because I was afraid of them getting too "cooked" tasting but I think I'm going to try it your way the next time we get a really good sale on 'shrooms.
No, they do fine this way, they weren't mushy at all. Just like what you would get from the store only much better taste.I got the recipe from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. The only thing I do different is just use the stock that they simmered in.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Question...A 50 pound bag of ( baking) potatoes @ the grocery store is less than $7.. Would they be good to can? Never did them before.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
sparks said:
Question...A 50 pound bag of ( baking) potatoes @ the grocery store is less than $7.. Would they be good to can? Never did them before.
At 14 cents a pound I believe I would be testing that theory! :p

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sparks said:
I pressure canned some of my potatoes from the garden this year. The other day I used a quart to make potato soup. It was really good - and so easy!

You could also dehydrate some.

Latest posts