WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had to go out and buy more pint jars today as I'm canning more turkey. Do you think there might be a 12-step program for canners who are out of control? While I was at the store I picked up 25 pounds of dry beans to can too.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
I had to go out and buy more pint jars today as I'm canning more turkey. Do you think there might be a 12-step program for canners who are out of control? While I was at the store I picked up 25 pounds of dry beans to can too.
:lol:

Then I'll need to go to the meeting too :p

I am working on my big bag of black beans. I hope to can the batch of refried black beans I made yesterday this afternoon.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I made a huge batch of homemade hamburger spaghetti sauce. Filled 7 qt jars, then pressure cooked them in my mother's old canner. 90 min at 10 lb pressure.

Boo hoo - only 2 of the 7 sealed. I know I can reprocess them, but gosh - over 2 hours of propane was used (hi and then low) to get them done, and I just can't see spending that amount again for 5 jars.

I'm so disappointed.
Why do you think they did not seal?? Do you think the canner is maybe off on it's pressure? That's a pain. Maybe you could just throw them in the freezer. :idunno

g

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
More apple pie filling, more apple honey, 4 more roosters and broth. It seems that tomorrow I get to work on green tomato salsa. The frost took out the plants :( I have never had green tomato salsa before, but I really hope I like it since there is about 100lbs of green tomatoes :lol:

walnuthollow

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Yesterday:

Canned 8 quarts of thick roasted tomato and herb marinara sauce.

Canned 3 pints of hot pickled okra.

Canned 3 1/2 pints of habenaro sauce that hubby made.

Canned 2 quarts of tomato juice.
"Would you mind sharing the recipe for your marinara sauce? :fl

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
walnuthollow said:
Farmfresh said:
Yesterday:

Canned 8 quarts of thick roasted tomato and herb marinara sauce.
"Would you mind sharing the recipe for your marinara sauce? :fl
Not at all!

I am a LAZY cook so this marinara is made in a crock pot!

Ma Zone Marinara

* Fill Crock Pot (the bigger the better) heaping full of tomatoes that have been peeled. I prefer using sauce types of tomatoes (like the heritage Amish Paste or Roma, but any tomato will work)Set the crock pot on LOW and go to bed. If you do not have a crock pot big enough or prefer another method I fill a roaster with tomatoes and put it into the oven at about 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

* Allow the tomatoes to cook until they begin to break down releasing their juices freely.

* At this point I usually dump the tomatoes into a large colander and drain off much of the liquid. Reserve about 2 to 3 quarts of this juice. (We like this runny tomato juice as a breakfast drink so I usually add salt, pepper and a dash of lemon juice and can it up.)

* Return drained tomatoes to the Crock Pot and mush them up. They will continue to break down and we prefer a somewhat chunky sauce. If you like a smooth sauce run the tomatoes through a blender then return to the pot.

* At this point I take usually 2 big onions and several (LOTS) of peeled garlic cloves. I place them in my blender or food processor with a bit of the reserved juice and let 'er rip! (You could also finely dice these ingredients.)

* Mix the onion and garlic into the tomato mush.

* Add lots of black pepper (I prefer coarse ground)

* Next I add the herbs. I always put in oregano, basil, (2T) rosemary (1T) and sometimes I add some chives, marjoram, lemon thyme (1t) or even a bit of spicy pepper flakes (1t). I grow my own herbs so they are always freshly dried.

* Stir well and let simmer until you can stand it no more.

* Finally I add 1/4 cup real lemon juice (which brightens it up a lot AND helps with the preservation) and salt. You know you have enough salt when you taste the sauce and it makes you "gleek!" :lol:

* Last adjust the sauce consistency by adding the reserved juice until it is the thickness that you prefer. I prefer it slightly on the loose side as it coats the noodles better! You can also leave it thick for pizza sauce.

This is a spicy herb sauce I NEVER add any sweetener or sugars. Try it first and see. Some may still want to add a bit of sugar.

Then I water bath can the sauce 25 minutes for quarts, 20 min for pints.

walnuthollow

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I wanted to make something with the last of my tomatoes and this sounds so good. :drool

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hubby went to an auction and bought me 4 cases of canning jars and a mess of lids :gig

I think he is trying to tell me something. I guess he really liked that apple sauce I made :D

Yesterday I made pear and ground cherry jam. I didn't really follow a recipe, I just took all the pears from our tree that I had peeled and frozen over the last couple of weeks, tossed those in a pan, added all the ripe ground cherries I could find, added lime juice and simmered. Once the texture look right I added a bit of honey and some no sugar added pectin then canned.

It's pretty yummy :D

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I canned 4 pounds of dried bean. Ended up with 16 pints. Added a little ham, onions, molasses and salt. They look great. Had extra ham so made a pot of pea soup....bonus!