WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I'm canning the last of this year's tomato harvest. I may hit the 100 quart mark for tomatoes this year.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Today is going to be applesauce and apple juice. I am going to try for the apple pie filling later in the week.

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Proud to say that my first attempt at canning was a success and it was so much easier than I thought it would be!

I now have 9 quarts of homemade apple butter. This morning I enjoyed toast made from my homemade bread, topped with homemade apple butter. It tasted all that much better because I made it myself. :)

I am finding this site to be such a huge inspiration!!! Thank you so much.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The_Realistic_Optimist said:
Proud to say that my first attempt at canning was a success and it was so much easier than I thought it would be!

I now have 9 quarts of homemade apple butter. This morning I enjoyed toast made from my homemade bread, topped with homemade apple butter. It tasted all that much better because I made it myself. :)

I am finding this site to be such a huge inspiration!!! Thank you so much.
Isn't that the BEST feeling?? Good job!!:clap

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Today I'm canning the last of this year's tomato harvest. I may hit the 100 quart mark for tomatoes this year.
:clap :woot

I did some kidney beans yesterday. I like to keep some black and kidney beans on hand and ready for use. Anyways, I am officially out of pint jars. :he

g

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made a huge batch of homemade hamburger spaghetti sauce. Filled 7 qt jars, then pressure cooked them in my mother's old canner. 90 min at 10 lb pressure.

Boo hoo - only 2 of the 7 sealed. I know I can reprocess them, but gosh - over 2 hours of propane was used (hi and then low) to get them done, and I just can't see spending that amount again for 5 jars.

I'm so disappointed.

debo4702

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm doing simple tomato sauce and then canning up some left over chili from last night. Maybe I'll have enough sauce for the year....but probably not. Just gotta keep at at.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I made a huge batch of homemade hamburger spaghetti sauce. Filled 7 qt jars, then pressure cooked them in my mother's old canner. 90 min at 10 lb pressure.

Boo hoo - only 2 of the 7 sealed. I know I can reprocess them, but gosh - over 2 hours of propane was used (hi and then low) to get them done, and I just can't see spending that amount again for 5 jars.

I'm so disappointed.
Do you have any idea what caused the seals to fail?

I would probably just freeze the un-sealed sauce. You may have to put it in another container if you don't already have it in freezer safe jars. The good side of all of that cooking is it just makes the sauce better, even if the jars did not seal. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
MR, I understand about not wanting to can them again. That is a lot of propane.

We picked a laundry basket full of our GMO free organic heritage corn, shucked it, cut it off the cob and I canned it. I got 7 pints. I sure hope it is good. A lot of work and 55 minutes of watching the canner. Did I mention I hate helectric stoves :lol:

Latest posts