WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Hubby went to an auction and bought me 4 cases of canning jars and a mess of lids :gig

I think he is trying to tell me something. I guess he really liked that apple sauce I made :D
How romantic!!! No, really!!!

Sparks, both those are on my list...first I MUST catch up on all neglected outdoor work while we have this brief period of reasonable weather between the heat wave and the deep freeze!

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got 4 quarts of butternut squash processing right now (good grief... 90 minutes?!). Big thanks to my friend at work who gave me these!
Gonna make some soup this winter

Yesterday I canned 7 quarts of beef broth and 4 pints of green beans.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
6 pints of Christmas limas going right now. Harvested 30 lb of sweet potatoes a week ago. Usually cook and freeze but freezers are stuffed, anybody can them? I don't want them sweetened.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now I'm getting hungry. I know I will read about what yall are canning, get inspired, make a plan, get hungry, then eat and my attention will be distracted. :weee I can be soo ADD.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
6 pints of Christmas limas going right now. Harvested 30 lb of sweet potatoes a week ago. Usually cook and freeze but freezers are stuffed, anybody can them? I don't want them sweetened.
I am interested in that recipe as well. I should have some to can soon.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The worst part of canning sweet potatoes is peeling the buggers. I wonder if the blanching method we use on tomatoes would work? Hmmmmm.....
Anyway, you just peel them, chunk them up to fit in the jar add water to about an inch from the top, a little salt and pressure can for 45 minutes per pint. Easy stuff.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday I canned some Hot Dilly beans and some Banana and Jalapeno rings... Also, one jar of mixed hot peppers , they are a mixture of cayenne, black pearl peppers, and jalapeno's... I thought this would be good to keep on hand to put in chilli and such.

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

Black Pearl Peppers....very very hot I might add...

IMG_2141.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I cleaned out my freezer this morning. Rounded up several bags of chicken parts, pieces and leftovers. Making some stock.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Having the Amish butcher 20 meaties this week. Thinking of canning several. Still torn if I should do them hot pack in cut up pieces or cold pack. Anyone canning chicken ?