WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
cheepo said:
like most of you i have done a lot of caning...
at least 60 dozen since this time last year...
and have been on the quest for jars...
my hubby jokes and says he\s gonna find me a
CA group...to take care of my addiction...

I started out the day...filling my trunk with 12 dozen assorted size..
craigslist...score $20
then later found value village had a few jars...they sell them 4 for 99c
i got $11 worth
but the best score...came from a lovely lady who saw my cart full of jars...
and she said she had some I could pick up for free...
she generously gave me 4 dozen..
but was gloriously surprised when I opened the box and most were the old glass top kind...

Moolie...are you there....???? I know you are the expert using this type of jar...
i do have a box of new rubber rings...but are the rubber rings reusable???
and are thease ok for pressure canning or just wbc
thanks would very much appreciate knowing..
Awesome jar score day!

Yes, the rubber rings are re-usable :) Just flip them over the next time you use them--if there is a "dent" in the rubber from the jar rim, put that side up against the lid the next time you use that rubber ring. If there's no dent, then no worries about which way to use it next time :)

I've successfully pressure canned a couple of times with the glass lids on the pint size jars, but haven't tried the quarts. First time I tried it I just pressure canned one pint of water in amongst another load (put it on the top layer) and it turned out fine, since then I've also pressure canned a full load of baked beans with the glass lids--but only in pints, I don't really pressure can anything in quarts.

Did your jars come with the extra tall bands? Some of the newer bands aren't tall enough to use with the glass lids so it is good to have some of the old ones.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks...moolie.!!!!.I will check as I clean them(even though they seem spotless, will run through the dw...
i am glad I asked..... didn't know there was a difference...Prior to this once i scored about 13 of them.
but haven't tryed them out...yet..
loved the look of them in your pics...

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Such a great score cheepo, you must have some good karma, as well as the lady that gave them to you. Just got finished with 11 1/2 pints of sweet jalapeno relish. Used the sweet relish recipe and added the peppers to give it a kick but not too much. It tasted great.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Processed my freebie Macs yesterday; ended up with 6 pints of nice sauce. About to head out to get the crabs processed for butter.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, the crabapples we got were awful! Not sour but bitter...yuck!

Did score more free Macs though and got another 8 pints of sauce, a dozen half pints of scrumptious butter, 8 quarts of apple pie filling and 8 quarts of juice.

Been working on meat the last week or two...got lots of browned stew meat and slices for hot beef sammies, 14 half pints of salmon, 8 quarts and 8 pints of whole little potatoes, today. Still have about 10 lbs of spuds to peel and chunk but that's gonna have to wait, I'm bushed!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am about to get back on my jams jellies and preserves tomorrow. I have strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and nectarines still in the freezer!! This cooler weather has me back in the mood to can :)

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth?? I've been known to prep the fruit and can it during the heat of late summer, especially when there's just so much that has to be tended to before it goes bad. Then I have the juice or pulp ready to go in pre-measured amounts. The prep seems to be the most tedious part of the process anyway.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Prepping for canning up the last of the tomatoes. They were picked green but have ripened. Not sure how tasty they'll be, though...

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Prepping for canning up the last of the tomatoes. They were picked green but have ripened. Not sure how tasty they'll be, though...
I just picked up last weekend a bushel of tomatoes from a family friend who called and said.. it's gonna freeze come and get some stuff if you can use it! I had to let them ripen a bit as most were a bit under ripe. got them saturday and canned them today. they taste fine. sure they could have been a bit riper but some were starting to rot so it was can them or lose more.
I still have another bushel of assorted hot peppers to do stuff with. got them all sorted and washed.
I ended up with 6 quarts/1 pint and a half(funny sized jar)/8 pints and 5 half pints of stewed tomatoes.. last few jars are in the canner right now.
one good thing about green underripe tomatoes that ripen up off the vine. they do tend to be a bit dryer than the ripe off the vine tomatoes and just didn't seem to need as much cooking down to make a thicker stewed tomatoes.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Finished up the last of the potatoes this morning...16 pints. Am I ever glad those are done!