WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pickled eggs do taste great as deviled eggs. They are also very pretty at Christmas if you use pickled beet juice. This year's were not pickled but they were fun anyway.

deviled eggs1.jpg

deviled eggs2.jpg

1217141808 (2).jpg

My little snowman has done all his work and is looking very tired at this moment but he was a great centerpiece last Christmas. Everyone picked him up and carried him around to show him to others so he got a little smashed on travel...LOL

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my kitchen in, the canner, this evening is French onion soup.
20170210_143146.jpg
12 Vidalia onions ready to go

20170210_155835.jpg
Cooked to translucent.

20170210_181221.jpg

8 minutes to go till cool down time..

This is because my hubby found a great deal on a case of them....They probably are not really really fresh but they will make great onion soup.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So the fried onions are almost done. They will be great on salads and re hydrated for cooking with.
dried onions.jpg

Here are the jars of onion soup that will be made into french onion soup.
canned french onion soup.jpg

A little French bread toasted and cut into rounds and topped with Gruyère and broiled will be delish one day.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hopefully I will have the rest canned up by noon today BUT it just so happened one of the jars didn't seal....oh darn.....guess I know what we are having for lunch this today....

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So we had the jar, that didn't seal up, for lunch. Oh it was good....I will use a smaller crock next time for a quart is enough for us at lunch....
onion soup.jpg

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gotta can MORE sweet pickles! DH is on a super low sodium diet and I can make these sodium free. Here is the excellent recipe that I found and using ice keeps the cucumbers crisp.
Bread & Butter Pickles Recipe (chilled)
4 h 30 m 50 servings 105 cals
Ingredients
25 cucumbers, thinly sliced
6 onions, thinly sliced
2 green bell peppers, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup salt
3 cups cider vinegar
5 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons mustard seed
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon ground turmeric

Prep
1 h

Cook
30 m

Ready In
4 h 30 m

1) In a large bowl, mix together cucumbers, onions, green bell peppers, garlic and salt. Allow to stand approximately 3 hours IN A CONTAINER FULL OF ICE, INGREDIENTS ON TOP OF THE ICE.
2) In a large saucepan, mix the cider vinegar, white sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, whole cloves and turmeric. Bring to a boil.
3) Drain liquid from the cucumber mixture. Stir the mixture into the boiling vinegar mixture. Remove from heat shortly before the combined mixtures return to boil.
4) Transfer to sterile containers. Seal and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Just keep the ingredients hot and ladle into canning jars, and...YOU know the rest. Can't keep us in them. I have seen these in the grocery store labelled, "salad pickles." You will REALLY like how the onions taste.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my goodness I love French Onion soup! That pickle recipe sounds amazing as well. Good job y'all with all that goodness canned up waiting to be eaten. One of the problems with pickles is all the salt so good to have a recipe without so much salt. What could be a better hobby than something that puts future meals in the pantry for our family and friends. Knowing what goes into our/their body(ies) without unpronounceable ingredients.

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
that french onion soup looks fantastic! topped with gruyere... :drool
oh man, i had forgotten how much i really like french onion soup.

Latest posts