WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd like to hear how the milk turns out as well. I've read that it changes color, since the lactose partially caramelizes, but it's otherwise fine. I wonder if it's still good to make cheese with?

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The "nchfp" does not recommend canning butter, milk or bacon but some preservers go against what they say. I do what they say most of the time for I like some of their new ideas but some things my family has been doing for a long time and I am not willing to stop doing them because the nchfp has changed their rules in recent years..

I have canned milk but don't care for the taste of it. @canesisters please let me know how it turns out and what it tastes like...I will be happy to try canning it to see if I like the taste. I do keep the "canned" box milk on the shelf in my pantry.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I believe that it is mostly used in cooking but do let us know what you think.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well..... as it turns out, the 6mo calf that is part of a small herd staying with me has discovered the free milk bar and I haven't gotten any fresh in days...
Her owner is (supposedly) working on getting them back home soon. Until then, what little milk I'm getting is getting used up. So no canning yet.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Separate the calf at night, then milk cow!! Calf won't starve :) as I'm sure it is eating well otherwise.

I'd get enough to make some butter, too.

I believe that the canned milk will be more like the cans of carnation...nor auew. I keep a couple boxes of the milk that is shelf stable and find that the 2% tastes more like whole milk. It's good and always great in a pinch. Soon I will have goats kidding and then, milking again. Love my Saanen goats milk. I make cheese with it, as well as goat milk soaps. Will have 4 or 5 milking this year, so lots and lots!! Plan to make some caramel sauce & ice cream.

So milk & can & tell us results. :D

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just canned some more of the pickled cabbage/coleslaw (whatever it is). I love it so much. Cheap and easy. Great for coleslaw or on top of sandwiches. Made some of Linda's Pantry pork and beans. Really good but next time less beans and more sauce. Open up a jar of coleslaw and beans with some fish, sandwiches or takeout chicken for a quick meal.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me a lot of jars and even and old pressure cooker that belonged to her mother. I need to clean it up. It will be great if I can use it, that will make two. It looks to be about as big as my 16 qt. Presto but it only has a rusty gauge. I don't know yet if I can bring it back to life or not.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The way I look at it, they could be brought back as long as it doesn't have a warped bottom....