WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's great news. I looked it over today and I know it needs a new seal but probably a vent thingy too. It will be cheaper than a new one for sure. I research the model and it is from the 40's. It is heavy duty and seems to be in good shape besides the dirt, grime, and rust.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And then you know that your local extension office will test the gauge for free or very little.....that is important to get done...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hubby told me to get rid of some of the eggs. 2 dozen silkie eggs later I have 4 half pints of lemon curd canned up and cooling on the counter. Not sure that's what he meant.

Silkie eggs just barely tip the scale at small and that's for a huge one. Nevermind the fact I have a lot of silkies. I get 8-12 eggs a day from them right now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hubby told me to get rid of some of the eggs. 2 dozen silkie eggs later I have 4 half pints of lemon curd canned up and cooling on the counter. Not sure that's what he meant.
I'm SURE he's not complaining! ;)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He won't find out until morning when the jars are in his way to put his lunch in the box.

Usually when we start getting a glut of silkie eggs I make him deviled eggs to take for lunch. He has too much snack stuff right now for that.

The peewee/small eggs make the best deviled eggs because they are one bite.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope he wasn't hinting for devilled eggs lol Though between that and lemon curd, I know which I'D prefer :drool

Years ago, when my pullets started laying, a lady that had a wonderful coffee shop in our town asked me to take her my little pullet eggs for pickling. She gave me a jar later and oh my word, those eggs were the nicest ever! She told me they found and modified a recipe for pickled eggs that they found in an old, old book, dating back to the 1800's. I couldn't get the recipe from her, but I do plan to play around a bit one day and try and do something similar.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Hinotori I'm thinking lemon curd sounds so goooood. I can't wait until I have so many eggs I need to find a way to use them up.

Last week I decided to can some pintos and great northern beans. I got 10 pints and can't wait to do some more along with garbanzo beans for hummus. It was actually quicker to do it in the canner than to boil a pan of beans all day. I needed some beans for refried beans and they were perfect for that.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard that pickled eggs make good deviled eggs. I know pickled cabbage makes good coleslaw.