WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a steam juicer so I've not done juice any way but with it. My great Aunt has a vineyard of different grapes. Wine, juice, and table, so if I make it down I get a lot. I prefer concord or muscat. Did up 88 quarts one year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cattail pickles! I've heard it all now, lol. Can't wait to hear how they turn out. There's a ditch up the road from me that had some growing - until the mowers got 'em. I bet they come back!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Previous owner of property here damaged a lot in his "improvement" quest. I've let it recover where he cleared it. His clearing caused huge flooding and drainage issues by the stream and pond which managed to drown some of the fir trees. There are alders and willows that are a few years old now and they spread a bit more each year. That showed this last winter with much less flooding even with record rainfall.

Cattails were one of the first plants to come back. Some in spots that were flooding so I removed them and encourages the willows. The cattails have been encouraged in the propper spots with enough coming up for a small harvest this year.

I'm one of the few people who get happy to find a stand of stinging nettles. There is a new patch coming up and with all of them I'm going to try fermenting some like sauerkraut.