WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't make elderberry syrup... I just tincture it unsweetened. It does the job and I'm less inclined to take more than I need.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't like syrups but a couple of tablespoons in water or tea is the way I get the Wildbunch and DH to drink it. I can say it does indeed work however you take your medicine.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night and this morning I did a canner full of dried beans. Pintos, Great Northern, garbanzos, small red making 5 qts. and 10 pints all together.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our church called us with another truckload of produce. This time we got a flat of big purple plums, a case of bananas, 4 heads of iceberg lettuce, 4 spaghetti squash, a case of pico de gallo, and a flat of what I first thought was yellow grape tomatoes but was Cape gooseberries. I'm making salsa out of the pico de gallo and preserves out of the Cape gooseberries. I haven't decided about the plums yet. I'm thinking about making banana chips. We might just make a batch or two of plum jelly. I will probably give some of the fruit away. My freezer is popping at the seams from all the strawberries and grapes I got a couple of weeks ago. I had already decided to can some of it to make room in the freezer. Now for sure. The community is so blessed by our congregation!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a blessing! Cape gooseberries makes amazing jam, by the way, if you haven't tried that yet.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20170526_194120.jpg

Salsa, Cape Gooseberry jam, plum jam, and canned plums in light syrup. I still have plenty of plums leftover to share and for fresh eating.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This was the first time I ever tasted a cape gooseberry. Yummo! As soon as I tasted the first one I knew I had to try jam. What an explosion of flavor in that tiny little yellow morsel!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They are amazing, aren't they? Incredible flavour and SO easy to grow too. Just squash one and toss the bits out where you want a plant and wait. They make a decent size plant, but don't take over. We had volunteer plants all over our place years ago, after some berries got into the compost heap. I didn't mind! What we didn't eat fresh, I made jam with.

Latest posts