WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have never canned before either, and between my morning sickness during planting season and a very wet, cool summer, it wasn't my year to do it either. Next year I'll be learning along with you @sumi!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Small garden next year for me though- only a few things I must have! Must have canned items- tomato sauce, dilly beans, chicken. The rest is a bonus.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So far all I have planned for the garden here is pumpkins (@Beekissed ;)), tomatoes, maybe some cucumbers and lettuce, because I love salads, squash, if I can get someone from S.A. to bring or post me the seeds I want. Maybe some zucchini, potatoes definitely… Corn! I love corn on the cob. Carrots for DS, he loves them fresh, but won't touch them cooked. That's the plan for now…

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll do pumpkins and winter squash too, carrots and greens. Corn doesn't grow well at my house. My daughter much prefers raw carrots too! I love cooked carrots... Mmm

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My garden wasn't organized or diverse...but tomatoes there is a plenty. Though everything got in so late that most won't ripen in time...might be a frost tonight :(

I can't can on my stove so I froze that last batch sauce. Will do more on Sunday and I'll get out the propane burner so I can water bath. One day I'll get a pressure cooker though....

*pressure canner

Last edited:

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have not canned in a year and half. I had 1500 full jars before I broke my ankle and elbow. It is about half gone now. Some is getting old and will go to the chickens and the rest we will use up. I usually can, what is available and in season or on sale. I will buy in bulk to put it up. I had lots in the freezer to make special dinners canned. We have been using it right out of the freezer. My canning career is ruined...

I just got more screws taken out of my ankle 2 days ago and hope this will help me get back on my feet. Then I will get back to canning.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I took my foot off my leg and it was sitting next to my leg still under my skin. I still have a plate and 6 screws in there....There is a moral to this story....don't step over the trailer hitch....

Latest posts