WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh - that hurts me just hearing about it. I can't even imagine how much it hurt you! No more stepping over trailer hitches for sure!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:eek: I am shuddering. How wonderful that you had a large store built up before your accident though! I can't imagine how much that would be! I have 100 - 200 jars and never have filled them all at the same time.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our garden froze so I'm picking tomatoes of all colors to see what will be salvageable. I wore myself out and am resting now. Will have to pick again tonight. I have 216 pounds of tomatoes on my deck now. Some are red-ripe and I need to start making sauce asap.

I canned 8 pints of unsweetened applesauce and half or more of each jar siphoned out. I'm bitter. Shoulda just froze it.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow @waretrop !! I really hope you've healed well, and that you'll be able to get all the pins and plates removed eventually. Your situation does highlight exactly why we should plan ahead. 1500 cans! That would have saved sooo many trips to a store (and sooo much money) when you were healing.
I wish I lived close to some of you ladies so we could can together.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have done very little shopping since I got broken. But my shelves are getting bare so I just can't wait to get back into canning.

@milkmansdaughter They will only remove the inside screws. The outside hardware is good. Never gave me any trouble. I am just a little angry that the doctor make me wait so long and then I had to insist on the removal of these last ones. Second trip for removal of screws...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DANG. Waretrop...was that trailer hooked up and moving :ep

Hope all is healing well for you!! :hugs

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah @waretrop that's rough!

Sorry about the freeze @tortoise

They weren't calling for a frost last night, but what did I see this morning? Tried hosing down the tomatoes to remove the frost as is sometimes recommend. I think all I did was create an ice storm. Live and learn.

Canned more tomato sauce, but I had the water bath out so I didn't have to freeze this batch. Just 9 1/2 pints. Plus the 11 from before. Still have that many tomatoes picked.

Shoot, now I just read that it may be unsafe to can tomatoes after a frost? I picked them this morning...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm busy here. We went to Westport and bought four 25 pound albacore tuna yesterday.

20171001_123838.jpg

Small pieces in jars for us and bloodline being canned for the dogs.

20171001_171834.jpg

Smoking all the rest before canning. Most will be plain, some will have garlic, some will have jalapeno.

20171001_154419.jpg