WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks SO much for the reassurance !!!! So far, the centers are down, but tomorrow i will definitely lift them as a test. That's a little scary !

I have a sincere sense that they are totally going to be mush. Will consider freezing next time. If I had not charred them to remove the skin, they might have been less soft.

Thanks !

freemotion said:
I canned peppers....once. MUSH! I'll freeze them from now on.

Just leave the jars alone for 24 hours, they will likely seal ok. I now just leave the jars in the canner longer than need be. To allow that to actually happen with my impatient and curious personality, I actually go outside and do something else. Then I take the lid off the canner and leave again and do something else. Then I come back and take the jars out. This is the best method for not obsessing about sounds, hisses, pings, pops, cracks, and gurgles. :lol:

Tomorrow, just push the center of each one and if one is not indented, put that in the fridge to use right away. Also pick each one up by the flat lid (tomorrow only!) and double-check that it is on very tightly.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I pickle hot peppers a lot and sometimes can a hot pepper or two with my tomatoes. They are always softer but since I cook with the tomatoes anyway I don't mind.

For the pickled ones I just pack the clean peppers in the sterilized jars and fill with a boiling vinegar brine solution (see above). Then seal the lid.

I am sure the USDA thinks that will kill me, but I have been open kettling peppers like that for a long time and am still not dead. If ANYTHING can survive in boiling hot pepper juice AC vinegar and salt I guess it can kill me.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I canned my first meatloaf today. 8 pint jars from a little over 6 lbs of hamburger meat. I found hamburger on sale for .99 a lb. Then I found a 3 lb sirloin on sale for about 1.50 per lb. So I finally got to use my meat grinder. I gound up the whole sirloin and mixed it with the cheap hamburger. (I cheated on making up the meatloaf. I used a prepackaged meatloaf mix). Anyway. Its all canned and looking good. Now I can't wait to try it - but I hear its best to let it sit for a few months.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
2dream, go ahead and have some meatloaf for supper! You deserve it! Besides, you need to know if you like it enough to run and get some more of that amazingly priced meat. Wow. Super deal!

FF, I can't imagine anything nasty surviving that brine, either. They also recommend against raw milk products and raw eggs....so things are very different from our own backyards. Makes it all worthwhile when we are constantly reminded of how dangerous food from grocery stores apparently is! :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Today's canning.

7 quarts tomato juice, 1 quart tomatoes. I am still stewing marina sauce in the big crockpot to finish after I get home from work. Peeled cleaned diced 2 pounds of garlic and into the dehydrator. Froze 2 pints of corn.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I was going to take a break from canning and do some housework today, but wouldn't you know it, my mom showed up with about 50 pounds of tomatoes in three stages of ripe ! I ended up canning five quarts of the red ones. She actually divided them into three boxes for me: red, orange and green. I think I know where I get my OCD from now !

Anyway, they are processing away, and I am back to cleaning house.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am canning berry sauce. Using up frozen berries from last year. We all decided that berry sauce would get eaten, opposed to frozen berries that need to be thawed a bit and sugared, before anyone will eat them in this household. A sweetened berry sauce would be good with yogurt, over ice-cream, waffles and pancakes as well as on pound cake. We'll probably think of more as we open the jars. Some may even end up jelling, I used to make jams without pectin, when I was a teen. Since berries are high in natural fruit pectins. We'll see.
The house smell good though, like rasberries. I used some storebought frozen berries that FIL brought over as well.

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We be jamin' today....

Still stocking up on jam! I decided that every time I make a batch, I will split off two (or three if I can) half pints to gift. Those full pints kill me to give away! :/

Here is what I put up today, Blueberry & Strawberry-Rhubarb.

Anyone have a good recipe for blueberry pie filling? i have 12 cups that I need to "put up" and have enough jam now.... :rolleyes:

8109.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Finished the day with 4 quarts, 1 pint and late supper out of the spaghetti sauce!

Also stocked up on canning lids at CLEARANCE prices! :celebrate

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Firefyter-Emt said:
We be jamin' today.... Those full pints kill me to give away!
I usually do half pints for all of my jams and jellies, because that way we can have several flavors open at the same time and they get eaten up quicker, so stay fresher!

By the way ... yours look YUMMY! :drool