WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think I'm going to cry. :hit The same 8 yr old child who knocked our pot of jam on to the floor fri. dumped 12 cups of scalding hot juice on the floor last night. If that was not bad enough,she managed to dump it on our 5 little kittens who were eating at the time. We were running around like chickens with our heads cut off, trying to clean up the mess and catch and wash kittens all at the same time. The little miscrient just stood there watching and wouldn't help at all. We have had her for 1 1/2 yr. now and its been a tough yr and a 1/2, the child has a way of destroying any thin she gets near. At this rate we may starve to death this winter.

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh my goodness. I hope the kitties are ok.

I'm still juicing Scupplins (Scuppernongs) to make a big ol batch of Scupplin Jelly this weekend.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Oh, NO ! That's just horrible. I am so sorry.

Well, today was a light day in the canning department. Only did 7 pints of tricolored peppers and 14 pints of chicken stock from the chicken breasts yesterday.

Hope to get the table moved out to the back 40 for the all day sun so I can dehydrate some celery and carrots tomorrow. We shall see.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I only manage 4 pints of tomato sauce today but they were my first harvest from the garden. I used home grown onions and basil.

should have a ton more tomatoes by next week or so. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, this isn't really canning, but I did put up 5 itty-bitty jars of hot mustard. I just made dh taste it....he said, "WOO-HOO! You could sell this stuff!!!" :cool:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
angelib 1--May I ask if you are a foster mom? We're in the process, and if you are a foster mom I would love to talk with you about it sometime!

Well, I found another big bowl of beans in the garden that I had missed last night, so it look like I have 35 lbs!!!! of beans to can tomorrow. That was one picking of a new variety called Slenderette. Yikes! I just need to keep chanting my mantra of how much we will enjoy them this winter :)

Good luck canning, everybody!

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No, I'm not a foster mom. She is my neice, her mom died two years ago and my brother found himself unable and unwilling to care for her. I don't blame him one bit, you simply can not let the child out of your sight for a second. Good luck on foster parenting I think it will be very rewarding. I had some friends that are, and they enjoy it.

Well, I managed to can 2 quarts of apircot juice and 6 and a1/2 pints of apircot syrup. Had the little one cracking nuts,in view, but out of the way.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
angelib1 said:
her mom died two years ago and my brother found himself unable and unwilling to care for her.
Sounds like she may be exhibiting some outward symptoms of the stress she has been under. Some of the kids that I have worked with in the past have become ultra clumsy and inattentive when they had big life changing trials to go through. Keep up the love and support and you will all get through it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
angelib1 said:
No, I'm not a foster mom. She is my neice, her mom died two years ago and my brother found himself unable and unwilling to care for her. I don't blame him one bit, you simply can not let the child out of your sight for a second. Good luck on foster parenting I think it will be very rewarding. I had some friends that are, and they enjoy it.
Thanks for your response :) I didn't want to be intrusive... Wow--I'm so glad this little girl has family who can care for her. I imagine all the symptoms of her grief and stress can be difficult to deal with, though, especially during the especially busy season of canning when a person doesn't feel like they have an extra hour every day for cleaning up! :barnie

Well, beans today. Hopefully about 7 pints of pickled dill beans, then who knows how many quarts of plain ol' canned beans...