WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
You know, Farmfresh, your request just made me realize I'm finally becoming the kind of cook I always have wanted to be!!! Not really following recipes :) I tend to do a mishmash for the beans, but let me describe it as best I can.

I would start with wide-mouth pint jars. Some of my beans are so long I might actually do quarts. I put in 3-4 cloves of garlic, perhaps 1/4 sliced onion and 1-2 large dill heads. Then, stuff in the beans. I use a generic half vinegar-half water plus salt pickling solution. It is 3 3/4 cups of each liquid plus 1/4 cup pickling salt. I just keep mixing up batch after batch according to how many jars I need it for. Enjoy!

Oh, one more thing, if you like them spicy, stick some hot peppers in the bottom of the jar, too :ep

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Thanks SO much!

My beans are going nuts right now so I am looking for a few new recipes!

By the way you have a PM from me.:D

me&thegals

Reaction score
Mine, too. Yikes!

How about 3-bean salad? I canned that a couple years and it really came out nice. Plus, with its vinegar dressing, it could be water bathed instead of pressure canned.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I got another gallon (#9) of tomatoes in the freezer. I also did 6 1/2 pints of freezer pickles.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Mine, too. Yikes!

How about 3-bean salad? I canned that a couple years and it really came out nice. Plus, with its vinegar dressing, it could be water bathed instead of pressure canned.
But I only have 1 bean!

Maybe I could do it like I do my tomato juice. Since it is ONLY tomato juice, I call it V-1. :gig

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I canned black raspberry - guava jelly today.

Does anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?

me&thegals

Reaction score
At the risk of being a broken record, here's my go-to pickling brine, which I used on green garlic this year:

3 3/4 cups vinegar
3 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup salt

Boil in pan or glass measuring cup, then pour over desired pickling products.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Sorry to go off topic a tad, but I have a quick question.

I just canned some roasted bell peppers. As per the instructions, I added boiling water to the peppers before processing. The peppers were packed tight, and after processing they are floating in half pint jars with about 1 1/2 inches of water at the bottom, which is probably half juice and half water.

The jars are on the counter and are starting to seal, but the noise is different. There was a small amount of siphoning in the processor, but not a lot. You could smell it.

Anyway, the sealing sound is not a pop, which is what I am used to. It is a crack. I am wondering if the floating peppers are all the way to the top and thus the sound is different. But then I wonder if the siphoning was a problem with the seal. I know they are sealed, but have concerns. (Just heard the last one, and it popped like they are supposed to. It's been 10 minutes or less since I took them out. Maybe the peppers settled?)

Am I being neurotic? (Okay, maybe I am.) This is my first time doing peppers, and I want to be sure I got it right.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I canned peppers....once. MUSH! I'll freeze them from now on.

Just leave the jars alone for 24 hours, they will likely seal ok. I now just leave the jars in the canner longer than need be. To allow that to actually happen with my impatient and curious personality, I actually go outside and do something else. Then I take the lid off the canner and leave again and do something else. Then I come back and take the jars out. This is the best method for not obsessing about sounds, hisses, pings, pops, cracks, and gurgles. :lol:

Tomorrow, just push the center of each one and if one is not indented, put that in the fridge to use right away. Also pick each one up by the flat lid (tomorrow only!) and double-check that it is on very tightly.