WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
ORChick said:
k15n1 said:
9 pt green beans
I don't like canned beans, but have only had commercially canned. Are home canned better? --- Well, of course they are better. But, how's the taste, and the texture? I would rather not eat beans than eat the regular canned ones. I know tastes are subjective, but can you give me an idea?
I grew up on canned green beans and MISS them!! That is ultimately why I wanted to get into canning in the first place. My mother specified that the important thing is to can pole beans, not bush beans. Pole beans take about 45 minutes to cook in a pot, where as bush beans take only about 15 or 20, and they're ready to eat. That is the key for canning- the pole beans hold up to the heat better than the bush beans do. She said canning bush beans gets you bean mush, which is not appealing at all! I can't really find anyone around here that has pole beans, none of the regular farmers do them that way because it is more of a hassle, so I have yet to can green beans :(

BUT, I did can the first run of split pea and bacon (didn't have any ham!) soup a la Moolie's recipe!!!! :celebrate The recipe only makes 1/2 quarts (we did quarts rather than pints so that we can have dinner for the two of us and maybe a little leftover for lunch for one of us the next day). I am SO excited though! This is the start of being able to have things to grab right off the shelf, dump in a pot and have dinner ready. Those nights when we roll in the door from taking care of horses at 8:00 dinner will be ready in 5 minutes, which is faster than the delivery can get here!! And SO way better for us!!

I am pretty proud of us for managing this on our own, its our first time without a buddy helping, and we did pretty good if I do say so myself! (That is assuming that in 45 minutes the jars all ping.... :hide )

Keep your fingers crossed!
(edited to correct the number of jars in the canner, I can't count apparently! :tongue )

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
If you were closer I'd give you some :)

10 Pints of Corn and we had 11 but one broke in the jar... :/

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
IMAG0533.jpg

They all pinged!! :weee

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FINALLY!!!!! PICKLED RED BEETS!!!!!!! Only one batch, more tomorrow afternoon.