WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Last week 21 quarts of tomatoes, just from "culled" tomatoes.
14 1/2 pints of elderberry-peach jelly

Coming up:
peach salsa
salsa
dilly beans
more tomatoes

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
So how do you can your corn?? The Other Half would love to can corn, and the corn around here is GOOD this year, with the drought its been sweet straight through the season.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
So how do you can your corn?? The Other Half would love to can corn, and the corn around here is GOOD this year, with the drought its been sweet straight through the season.
Corn is super easy :)

Cut kernels from corn, there are some fancy corn-cutters out there but all you really need is a sharp knife. Pack loosely in jars, add salt (about a tsp per quart) and boiling water, leaving 1" headspace, process pints 55 minutes, quarts 85 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for your altitude, I need to process at 12 lbs pressure).

You can also do cream-style corn, which is the only way I've ever done it (the info above is from my Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving, on the same page as what I do for cream-style corn:

blanch ears 4 minutes in boiling water, cut corn from cob at center of kernel, leaving tips still in cob. Scrape cob to extract pulp and milk of remaining kernel portions. Measure kernels and pulp and for each 2 cups add 1 cup water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and boil gently 3 minutes. Ladle into pint jars (do NOT use quarts) season with 1/2 tsp of salt per pint, and process pints for 85 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for your altitude, I need to process at 12 lbs pressure).

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Grape jelly and peach butter, my first canning adventure! Then a friend is butchering some extra roosters and skinning them. I don't really want to use skinless for dumplins because cooking with the skin on is better, or at least mama says it is and she makes the dumplins so she wins! Anyway I'll can the chicken from those roosters in water with a little salt. Then I'll throw em in with rise, noodles and soups. I also plan to can some pork and beef before winter. It's supposed to be a bad one, around here anyway.

Once I'm comfortable I'll try pickles, beets, tomato sauce and salsa. I'm trying to get some veggies even though my garden didn't happen this year.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Oh boy, he's gonna want corn now, LOL
My mother made creamed corn a lot, I love it, and miss it, but he is lazy and likes it right off the cob.

Thanks guys! :D

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
6 -1/2 pints of cherry jam this morning before I needed to get to work. Some days I just want to stay home and can. Dill pickles tonight.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Canned 7 pints of salsa. Had tomatoes left so made sauce; got 3 pints. Didn't want to get the canner going again so I just froze them. Need to make another gallon of kraut tomorrow, but that should go in the fermenting thread.