WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Green beans, wax beans and pie cherries. Everything is coming on at once.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beef. With blueberries and left over tomatoes on the dehydrator. Have onions, garlic, celery, carrots and corn waiting.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
First canning of the year for me. Today it will be blackberry jam and blueberry jam. And it will be the second-hottest day of the year so far--yesterday it was 100 degrees.

Edited to add: Finished 9 half-pints of Blackberry-blueberry jam and 7 of plain blueberry. I had to eke out the scanty blackberries with blueberries, but the jam came out mighty tasty. Next canning project will be tomato sauce in three weeks or so.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
23 pints of spicy pickled beets in total!
:woot

Tonight we picked a bushel and a half of green beans to can tomorrow. They are broke and ready :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I'm starting in on the 100 lbs of roma tomatoes that we picked up at the end of day at the Farmer's Market, hope I can get a good pile of them out of the way before it heats up too much!

We had rain for 4 or 5 days last week that morphed into humid 30C heat on Saturday and today is supposed to be 35C. I know that doesn't sound hot to those of you who are dealing with prolonged heat and drought, but we just don't get that high very often--mid to high 20s is good summer heat around here.

Planning on more tomato sauce, salsa, and chili sauce :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
IMAG0533.jpg

They all pinged!! :weee
Great job! Looks delish--I love this soup! Glad I inspired you to make it :)

(Only thing for next time, it only needs 1" of headspace--which is only to the bottom of the threaded area of the jar. I think you've got about 2" on these jars. It's not a problem since they all pinged, but just watch your headspace for next time. Most meats, beans and convenience meals take 1" headspace, fruit is usually 1/2", and jams and relishes (smaller jars like half pint) usually only take 1/4" headspace--the recipe usually tells you :))

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
15 quarts of tomato sauce so far, still got just over 50 lbs of tomatoes left to go! (getting way too hot to continue, so I'll get the rest tomorrow)