WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
I have 10 pints of ground beef in the canner right now! First time using the pressure canner so am super excited. I sure hope it turns out....I have 40 more pounds of meat to can!
I am interested in canning ground beef. I need to clean out a old chest freezer with a bad lid and I have no room in my other freezer. Canning it seems like the perfect solution. Any tips, seasoning?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I haven't canned ground beef as ground beef yet. I have however made chili and sloppy joe and canned it. If you want recipes just let me know. :)

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There is something on this thread that mentions it. You can can in beef broth or just water, I think.

Just canned eleven half-pints of cherry jam. I always end up with more than the recipe says. I don't know why!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
I have 10 pints of ground beef in the canner right now! First time using the pressure canner so am super excited. I sure hope it turns out....I have 40 more pounds of meat to can!
I am interested in canning ground beef. I need to clean out a old chest freezer with a bad lid and I have no room in my other freezer. Canning it seems like the perfect solution. Any tips, seasoning?
moolie said:
Moolie:

Would you tell me how you can your ground meat? We were the recipients of 50# of ground beef which I would like to can, I just seem to find a lot of conflicting information. I know that you can meat on a regular basis and wondered if you would give a quick rundown on the steps. I appreciate any information you can share. Thanks!
Super easy, but time consuming if you have a lot to can :)

I brown my ground meat in batches, then rinse it under HOT water to wash off all the fat, if I have a lot I just keep in warm in a large pan in the oven set to 200F while I'm browning the rest, then pack it into pint jars, fill with boiling water leaving 1" headspace, and process 75 minutes (for pints, quarts are 90 minutes) at whatever pressure is called for by your altitude--most common is 10 lbs, I need 12 lbs for my higher altitude.

If you want more flavour you can use bouillon or stock in place of the water, but we don't find any lack of taste just using boiling water.

When I cook with it, if I don't need the extra water in the recipe I'm making I pour the water out of the jar first and save it for home made soups--gives a nice beefy flavour to soups.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mollie..wondering..how the ground beef turns out like canned..when it is pre browned..
I have used the boil meathod shown in this video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJpNEvaigU
and love the easy convenience...
thank you for posting cream corn...I got 6 dozen cobs yesterday, and that is what I will be doing today :cool:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
cheepo said:
mollie..wondering..how the ground beef turns out like canned..when it is pre browned..
I have used the boil meathod shown in this video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJpNEvaigU
and love the easy convenience...
thank you for posting cream corn...I got 6 dozen cobs yesterday, and that is what I will be doing today :cool:
Turns out about the same, I have boiled it before but we can bison so there is very little fat and all that water just makes it more messy. Just a quick brown in a large enameled cast iron pan, quick rinse with hot water to remove the little bit of fat we do get, and into the jars :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. Canning more green beans tonight.:D

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got 3 half pints of jelly out of the thimbleberries I picked with a little left over for us to try. Not sure if I'm going to give these as gifts or not.

I also have 5 half pints of tart cherry jelly canned up. Some of those will be for gifts.

It's been warm enough this year I should be able to put up a whole bunch of grapejuice and jelly. We didn't get much last year because it just wasn't warm enough and they didn't ripen.