I'm starting to dehydrate food. Not canning but it's a new adventure for me

Attachments

• IMG_20220327_212407862.jpg
    IMG_20220327_212407862.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 61

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
From the discussion in the Shortages thread...

Consolidated the wish list, also comparing processing times, and potential ready dates of stuff. Over half the items on the list are able to be water bathed.

It's been a while since I did it, but gonna hang out towards the end of the Saturday market to bargain for deals on produce they would just take back and toss. Worked well in the past.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Raw packer on the bone here. At least for legs and thighs. So easy - just stuff as many as you can fit in a jar. Don't have to add any liquid - it'll make it's own. A little salt if you're so inclined and it's ready to can. 75 minutes for pints - 90 minutes for quarts.

I haven't canned breasts - if I did I might (or might not) debone. Somebody here debones first - I think maybe @baymule. If you can them on the bone just be thorough when you debone.

I'll also can backs for the dogs. The bones get soft enough that the dogs can eat them with no health risks.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can leg quarters raw pack, with half cup cooked rice per quart for the dogs. I catch the 10 pound bags on sale.

Butchering chicken for people, cutting, packaging etc. leaves lots of bones that still has meat on them. I simmer the bones for broth, pick the meat off and can it. Canning chicken for my consumption, I pre cook it. Meat shrinks up, so I get a better pack in the jars.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can leg quarters raw pack, with half cup cooked rice per quart for the dogs. I catch the 10 pound bags on sale.

Butchering chicken for people, cutting, packaging etc. leaves lots of bones that still has meat on them. I simmer the bones for broth, pick the meat off and can it. Canning chicken for my consumption, I pre cook it. Meat shrinks up, so I get a better pack in the jars.

I may have to try that for Athena. She gets a really sensitive stomach when we travel. She can't have wheat, anyway, so it's just worse.