WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now that we got a stove with a glass stovetop do I need to do anything different for canning? I read that water bath canners aren't flat bottomed (I have to go and dig mine out) and can cause a pocket of air and the stove top can crack. I could can with a propane or electrical burner outside but then I worry about air temperature. UGH. I didn't even think about canning when DH picked out the stove.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Now that we got a stove with a glass stovetop do I need to do anything different for canning? I read that water bath canners aren't flat bottomed (I have to go and dig mine out) and can cause a pocket of air and the stove top can crack. I could can with a propane or electrical burner outside but then I worry about air temperature. UGH. I didn't even think about canning when DH picked out the stove.
some people say it's fine, but my previous stovetop couldn't keep a loaded canner hot enough to maintain a boil or maintain pressure and the burner I used for canning never worked quite right after that. I have been told that it has to do with the weight of a fully loaded canner doing something to the sensors? Some people don't have a problem at all though.

I don't can on my stovetop. I use electric water bath canner or electric digital pressure canner. Or I use a propane burner outdoors for my big pressure canner and big water bath canner. Wind can be a problem with the propane burner outside. Sometimes we have to arrange a wind block, and of course can only can outdoors like that in spring/summer/fall and when it's not raining.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
TBH it would probably cost less to install an used stovetop in your garage or basement to make a canning kitchen then buy gadgets like I did. I just really love the ease of plug-in canners.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

So I found this today, if you watch the first 2 min and 40 sec seems like the electric canner is recommended but not approved by the USDA. So then I went back to the website to order it and yep, sure enough it just meets the requirements but it isn't approved or certified so says the 'stamp of approval'

1648240635698.png

So then what does that mean exactly? Anyone? If the USDA won't approve it then is it still as safe as a stove top pressure canner?