WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

So I found this today, if you watch the first 2 min and 40 sec seems like the electric canner is recommended but not approved by the USDA. So then I went back to the website to order it and yep, sure enough it just meets the requirements but it isn't approved or certified so says the 'stamp of approval'

View attachment 18543

So then what does that mean exactly? Anyone? If the USDA won't approve it then is it still as safe as a stove top pressure canner?
USDA does not approve or recommend any canners. I think it is safer than me using a stovetop canner.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is all my oven's manual says. Pressure canner says to not exceed 1 inch of burner size
USDA does not approve or recommend any canners. I think it is safer than me using a stovetop canner.
Got it. I am going to order one of these today. If anything would go wrong with the stovetop DH would not be very happy with me and I NEED my canning :) If you have any tips or tricks or things you have learned from using it please let me know. The one review I watched indicated that the thicker items might not reach and hold the 'kill zone' temperature as long.

One question, can you use the electric pressure canner as a water bath as well or would I need to invest in that one too? We make a lot of jams and jellies

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Many glass top stoves can't handle the weight of a full pressure canner.

Mom says hers has erratic heat and all she uses hers for is cooking.
@Hinotori this! In the previous life, the then wife tried using the pressure canner on the glass stove top. The heating element would only get "so" hot and then kick off, couldn't get a consist level of heat, hence me buying my propane burner rig. My gas stove top works great as long as I don't need any burner space for concurrent food prep

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori this! In the previous life, the then wife tried using the pressure canner on the glass stove top. The heating element would only get "so" hot and then kick off, could get a consist level of heat, hence me buying my propane burner rig. My gas stove top works great as long as I don't need any burner space for concurrent food prep

Mom only waterbath cans. She uses the unit spots on her propane grill to do her canning.

I have an old stove with coil units so I usually can inside. When it's really hot, I have one of those big propane camping stoves with 2 units.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No canning here but we made gummy bears with home canned grape juice, local honey from the farm my daughter works at and gelatin

Attachments

• 20220327_163455.jpg
    20220327_163455.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220327_113606.jpg
    20220327_113606.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts