WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nope, sure didn't. I cooked the burger but all the other meat went in raw. I figured that since it was going to be in a pressure cooker for over an hour at about 14 lbs, that would cook it fine...and it did! I didn't de-bone the chicken because I was in a bit of a hurry, but in future I will. The raw meat cooks down and sort of makes its own juice. If you don't have enough chicken to do a full batch, I'd prep it and freeze it raw. Then when you're ready to can, thaw it quickly, pack it in the jars and process. At some point, I think I'll do some shredded chicken for sandwiches and salad..in that case, I'll cook it first and put some chicken stock in the jars before processing.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
5 quarts of split pea soup and 17 pints of crushed tomatoes (had GOBS of whole frozen tomatoes in the freezer - so nice to get those done and make more room in my freezer!)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
5 quarts of split pea soup and 17 pints of crushed tomatoes (had GOBS of whole frozen tomatoes in the freezer - so nice to get those done and make more room in my freezer!)
Split Pea soup sounds yummy. Today its apple sauce only 9 pints so far.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
BarredBuff said:
23 Pints of Ground Beef

20 Pints of Beef Chunks
Did you butcher a cow or find a good deal somewhere?

Gina
We bought half of a grass fed beef from a friend, and I canned all of the stew meat we got and a third of the ground beef.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yesterday we canned:

7 Quarts of Chicken Breast Filets
5 Quarts of Dark Meat Chunks
7 Quarts of "Quick" Stock

Not bad for 11 meat birds.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I am using 6 quarts of tomatoes for News Years Eve chili and celebration!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
10 pt venison. It was an experiment. The muscle toward the foot-end of the legs tends to be tough and there's a lot of connective tissues around it. I cut it into 1" lengths and cold-packed it into jar. After pressure canning for the usual amount of time, the individual bundles of muscle were separated because most of the connective tissue broke down. The liquid was a very firm jelly. Taste good, too.