WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I asked my neighbors a few years back about picking their apples and they said,"You mean you can EAT those!"

Amazing. I mean if it was a persimmon or a currant I could possibly understand BUT AN APPLE? I thought EVERYBODY knew what an apple looks like and that you can eat them.

The house was sold, so new neighbors now ... They didn't pick the tree last year either!

I am going to have to go a' knocking!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made another batch of tomato sauce last night. Normally wold make 6 quarts. In stead I simmered it for about 4 hours and canned it as paste. Not sure how true it is but something different.
:idunno

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Late last night I finally got all the Roma's peeled and stewed down. Ended up making smoky tomato catsup. The last two quarts (not pints this time) of deep pit beef are in the jars, but I am not going to can them until I get the elbertas this morning.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ldychf2k--Do you have a recipe or general guidelines for the smoky catsup? If my tomatoes EVER ripen, there will be a boatload and I would love to make catsup, which we use quite a bit of. I can't think of anything more delicious right now than homemade meatloaf (our venison, eggs and onions) with homegrown purple french fries and homemade catsup. :drool

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, I COULD ell you that I smoked the tomatoes, but that would be a lie. I just added a tablespoon of liquid smoke to the standard recipe. It's really, relly yummy !

me&thegals said:
ldychf2k--Do you have a recipe or general guidelines for the smoky catsup? If my tomatoes EVER ripen, there will be a boatload and I would love to make catsup, which we use quite a bit of. I can't think of anything more delicious right now that homemade meatloaf (our venison, eggs and onions) with homegrown purple french fries and homemade catsup. :drool

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I so agree about the foraging! I made 6 pints of apricot jam a few weeks back from fruit I rescued from a neglected tree in my neighborhood, plus dried and froze some.

Still working my way through the apples, and our grapes are starting to ripen too. Will probably make grape juice this weekend. It's also time to go start picking blackberries! I have some good patches in my neighborhood and I really need to get on it.