WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Not sure I could eat that many ! Checked at the produce stand today and apparently green beans are not doing well this year, so none are available.

Canning today was slow, as I have kids around and lots to do. Two quarts of deep pit beef and two of peaches. Actually, I am putting them in the jars, in the fridge, until the rest of the peaches are ripe and they can all bathe together !

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
That is a lot of green beans! Does your dad provide his own jars?
We provide alot for each other. He plants and harvests the beans, I break, use whatever jars we have between us, we can and he cooks the beans. This is the first year I've grown my own beans and he helped me can them. It always evens out.

We do alot for my dad and he, in turn, does alot for us. We never grumble about time or cost. We each offer to pay the other, but neither will accept.

It's just one of those wonderful "give & take" situations.

Now, as far as most other family members: "No way!"

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I canned 2 quarts plus a pint of crushed tomatoes. Pitiful isn't it? I know, take what you can get and thank the gods!My sad tomatoes are finally ripening, but I believe they will not produce no more. :th So I guess I will have to buy tomatoes again this year to can,..I have to have my canned tomatoes to make chili and veggie soup this winter! ;)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
12 more qts of green beans - I promise, this is it. No more green beans! :celebrate

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i did a tally and have 80 quarts of green beans myself, gotta start giving them away!!!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I am terribly impressed!! I stayed up from 10-2 one morning just getting 21 quarts done. You rock!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Okay, I am officially going stir crazy. No produce, no jars, no lids for prospective jars which might be empty soon, no money, and a stupid rat to deal with. I have been canning every day for almost two months now, and I am definately in withdrawal. Looking for a 12 step program somewhere.

So, today I decided to take pictures of my jars and make a list of what I have. Thought I would do a repeat wipe down, remove any lids that were still on, etc.

90 minutes later I finally had the jars lined up for Step #1. The pictures. Took a few snap shots (the pickles kept making sour faces, so I had to encourage them a bit) and made one of my famous lists. In my famous notebooks that I keep on just abuot everything.

I won't repeat the lists here, because you all know what I have been doing. But I will share the photos, as soon as I can figure out how to get them here from Photobucket !

Let's try. First, the chicken breasts, which my daughter calls fetal pigs.

Picture116.jpg

Next we have an overview of half the kitchen. Pints of all sorts foreground and background left, jams and jellis background right.

Picture115.jpg

And finally the quarts, main dishes and so forth.

Picture117.jpg

Oh, and this is my granddaughter on her tenth birthday, wearing her Goodwill ball gown. Had to toss that one in. She is VERY much into the movie Titanic, so she got a Rose from the Titanic Barbie, and a dress to match. Not bad for $12.

You can see half of the prospective garden in the background on the other side of the chain link fence. Lots of work ahead for this old broad.

Picture107.jpg

I just realized you are not getting much of an idea of my kitchen "decor". You see pink and purple. You can't see the butterfly theme on the curtains, nor the walls. My granddaughter and I cut these out of construction paper and put them all over the place. They are all heading for the lavender on the fridge.

Butterflies are my life theme. Something unattractive and of questionable value is changed, in my case by the hand of God, into a thing of beauty which lives in freedom. Anyway, here's the butterflies

Picture.jpg