WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
After chores, I started in on other stuff. Put milk from frig in a pot to get room temp to make cheese, while I used stove burner to make red pepper jelly. I love that stuff, it's expensive and hard to find sometimes. First attempt and so pleased. Have more peppers to use up and I'll make a couple more batches. Had some Braswells brand left in a jar and mine tastes just like it. 👍😊 Woohoo! I'll make cream cheese later. Need to buy Ritz crackers while out tomorrow. Yummy. Ok, now that I shared that delight -- back to more on my list. 🙄

View attachment 19892
That combo sounds reeeeeeeaaally good 👍

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I actually found this one on internet. It is not a sweet jelly & has a little heat from jalapenos....nothing burning but, there. In combo above it's addictive. 😂 I served it a few years back at a food sampling demo...used to do a lot of those. Every since, I love the stuff. Made with sweet red bells, not greens that are over ripe. I had a bunch, so found recipe and tried it. You can adjust heat by how many & how hot the Jalapenos are. Ones I had were mild, so I added 1/4 tsp of cayenne...worked fine & still had the jal flavor notes.

3.5 cup sweet red bell peppers ... Measured after chop fine (food processor)
1/2 cup jalapeno chipped fine
1 cup apple cider vinegar
4.5 tblsp fruit pectin
1/2 tsp butter
5 cups granulated sugar

6 -- 8oz jars

Put peppers, vinegar, pectin, butter in pan. Bring to boil. Add sugar. Return to rolling boil & maintain for 1 minute. Skim if needed. Put into jars. Water bath 10 min after water comes to boil.

Note. I used pulse blender on peppers. Net said they put peppers in strainer to remove some water. I just left it and added Xtra 1/2 tsp pectin. 🤷. Worked great. And my rolling boil was more like 2 min as I tested consistency. All the usual, use hot jars, clean rims, Yatta, Yatta. 😂👍

And I have 5 pints of "my Rotel" pipping! 😋 Used up some bits & pieces.

ETA ... This is a good condiment or glaze on baked chicken or pork.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FINISHED the potatoes, 5 pints. Made another batch of pepper jelly. Now I need to go pick the elderberries, to clean tonight and process tomorrow. Milk at room temps, so I'll finally get the cheese made, after picking berries. 😬. I'm thinking no more canning until next weekend.....I'm over it! 🤣. Don't even want to LOOK at food.😱 Plus out of counters! Gotta take it to it's rightful storage now that cooled. 👍

IMG_20220813_134243.jpg to IMG_20220813_140348.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel like such a slacker...I haven't canned anything in at least 2 or 3 days! (and I'm not gonna!)

i get my fix by reading here. i haven't canned anything since last fall...

that's about to change, went out to check for tomato worms this morning and saw enough red tomatoes to pick so now i have 2/3rds of a bucket of tomatoes to put up this evening. :)

BLTs today.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FINISHED the potatoes, 5 pints. Made another batch of pepper jelly. Now I need to go pick the elderberries, to clean tonight and process tomorrow. Milk at room temps, so I'll finally get the cheese made, after picking berries. 😬. I'm thinking no more canning until next weekend.....I'm over it! 🤣. Don't even want to LOOK at food.😱 Plus out of counters! Gotta take it to it's rightful storage now that cooled. 👍

View attachment 19908 to View attachment 19910
I would be willing to store any elderberry jelly for you!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Made a double batch of mild sweetish salsa for the wife, a batch of pickled red onions, a batch of corn, and a batch of pureed pickled jalapeños (1/4 pint jars she adds to queso, no chopping needed).
Pickled jalapeños rings, pizza sauce on deck.

Corn, beans, squash, zucchini, etc. DONE. no more this season.

Last edited:

Latest posts