WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Congratulatiosn ! That is something worth celebrating !

The only thing "fig" I have ever tried is a newton. Would the jam taste similar to the filling? (Looking dumb is something I am very good at.)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
OOOh did you grow your own figs? I hear they have a hardy version that can be grown into zone 5 now!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I read that thread and was totally intimidated. There is just no way I could afford all of that stuff, but I have to remind myself that I am just starting, only a couple or three months into this.

Sorry the last post was so long. Mornings are good times to write. Nothing to clutter the mind yet.
There is no rule in the contest as to what items you need to squirrel. So don't worry about what you can afford. It is more about good fun and encouraging each other, and a place to "brag" where you will be applauded rather than given "that look!" :lol: :rolleyes:

Have you canned your own beans yet? They are amazingly cheaper than storebought. I just sent dh off to buy some more black beans. We always have jars of plain beans to add to recipes or to make bean dip or refried beans, and jars of stuff with beans in them, like soups and chili. Amazingly cheap. You can dig for coins in your car and sofa and have enough money to indulge in another day of canning!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I planted a fig tree last fall. Right now it is still just a stick in the ground. Not sure if it will make it.

Ldy, you have an amazing amount of goodies which will help you and your family in case of an emergency. You should be very proud of your self. Keep up the good work.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I usually freeze cooked pintos and such... but that is an entry for the Freezing thread! :)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Sigh...no more jars! No more lids ! Payday a week from tomorrow. I'll make it !

I have about 25 pounds of dried beans in storage, and a number of contaners cooked and frozen. I just LUV beans ! Oh, and brown rice....yeah....

freemotion said:
Ldychef2k said:
I read that thread and was totally intimidated. There is just no way I could afford all of that stuff, but I have to remind myself that I am just starting, only a couple or three months into this.

Sorry the last post was so long. Mornings are good times to write. Nothing to clutter the mind yet.
There is no rule in the contest as to what items you need to squirrel. So don't worry about what you can afford. It is more about good fun and encouraging each other, and a place to "brag" where you will be applauded rather than given "that look!" :lol: :rolleyes:

Have you canned your own beans yet? They are amazingly cheaper than storebought. I just sent dh off to buy some more black beans. We always have jars of plain beans to add to recipes or to make bean dip or refried beans, and jars of stuff with beans in them, like soups and chili. Amazingly cheap. You can dig for coins in your car and sofa and have enough money to indulge in another day of canning!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the encouragement. I am afraid they think I am a little nuts, but I keep hoping !!!

All this talk of figs, now I want some Newtons.

TanksHill said:
I planted a fig tree last fall. Right now it is still just a stick in the ground. Not sure if it will make it.

Ldy, you have an amazing amount of goodies which will help you and your family in case of an emergency. You should be very proud of your self. Keep up the good work.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You might consider suggesting to those that you share your canned goods with that they might look for lids on clearance when they are out and about. I give a cut-up box to people so they know just what to look for. Hint-hint! A little directness never hurts. If they find a box for $1 or so, it is still a great bargain for them to give you a box in exchange for a jar or two of goodies. People don't realize that even if they give the jars back, there is a cost associated with canning. Let them help! They have sofa cushions with coins in them, too! ;)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Moving this part of my discussion over there.....apologies for going off topic.

Ldychef2k said:
I read that thread and was totally intimidated.