WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
26 quarts today of tomatoes. got them done early because we both agreed we didn't want to do another batch this evening.

i made it much easier on both of us today too because while there were a lot of "brain" tomatoes out there that i could have picked i didn't get most of them. so we can eat them or ignore them the rest of the week until i decide i want to can again. perhaps we won't, we'll see how it goes.

if i am going to do anymore canning i need to get some more jars. i was supposed to get some the other day but my appt went late and so i had to choose between shopping and doing other things and of course i picked other things instead.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Of course you can leave it on ... some may get bitter. Have you tried putting them in scalding water and slipping like a tomato? Some varieties will work with that. I have few available, so don't get to can many.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is!
I started with the recipe from the Ball Canning book for Peach Rum Sauce.
The first time I made it, I only made 1/2 a batch to try it. I used up most the rum left in the bottle for that batch and it tasted good. I still had peaches, so I made a whole batch of it and substituted Southern Comfort for the rum. (SoCo is my go to for an adult beverage). It tasted even better! I have used Southern Comfort ever since.
I cut the white sugar amount in half because it was way too sweet with the SoCo, and added some lemon juice to give it little sour to cut the sweet.
Summary of ingredients:
6 cups diced, pealed peaches
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup Southern Comfort whiskey
3 tablespoons of lemon juice (to taste) I may use more.
Bring everything but the whiskey to a boil while stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes. Add whiskey and cook at a simmer until the peaches are soft and sauce thickens. About 20 minutes.

I added 1 Tablespoon of ClearJel this time to help it thicken. My peaches were not fully ripe but were getting soft so I needed to use them for something. I cooked them up with a little water to prevent burning and after 30 minutes, the peaches were cooked and it was getting thicker, but I was in a hurry, so ClearJel was added at the end and cooked according to directions to thicken it a little bit. It does not take much ClearJel to thicken things up a little bit.

NOTE: Since I changed it up, THIS IS NOT A LAB TESTED AND USDA APPROVED CANNING RECIPE.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Had baked chicken with the bourbon peach bbq sauce I canned earlier this summer. It was great, would be even better if cooked on the grill to caramelize (grill is inaccessible at the moment)

Latest posts